Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Daniel 4:34-37
[Go to Part 2]
Why Nations Fall
1. God is sovereign over the nations of men, Acts 17:26.
2. Nations rise and fall in relation to their:
a. Choices of good and evil, Jer. 18:7-11 (Nineveh, Jonah 3:10).
b. Respect for the true God, Psa. 144:15 (33:12).
3. More specifically, what leads to the downfall of nations?
I. NATIONS FALL BECAUSE OF THEIR PRIDE, Dan. 4:28-33, 34-37.
A. Edom: Pride in Her Security, Obad. 2-4.
1. Thought themselves impenetrable.
2. In pride, refused to help Israel, Obad. 10-11 (10-16).
B. Rome: Pride in Her Power, Dan. 7:21-27; Rev. 13:5; 19:19-20.
1. Proud of her strength, she was pompous in word/deed.
2. Persecuted Godís people, but saints prevailed, Dan. 7:22; Rev. 9:19-20.
II. NATIONS FALL WHEN THEY REFUSE TO HONOR GOD.
A. Nations Fall When They Serve False Gods, Isa. 21:9.
1. Idols (false gods): Northern Israel, 2 Kings 17:15-18; Egypt (568 BC), Ezek. 29:19-20; 30:13, 19.
-ď2018 Gallup poll found that U.S. church membership has reached an all-time low of 50%, and one in five Americans does not identify with any religion, most of the country still expresses belief in GodĒ (news.gallop.com). Rom. 1:20-25
2. Military power: Babylon, Hab. 1:5-11 (in one night, Dan. 5:30).
a. ďThe United States is the single biggest military spender in the world.Ē $730B in 2019 (nationalpriorities.org). National security expenditures easily top $1 trillion annually.
b. Yet could not keep Taliban from taking over Afghanistan.
3. Economic security: Tyre, Ezek. 27:25-28.
a. U.S. 2019 GDP was $21.4 trillion.
b. This cannot buy a single soulís salvation, Matt. 16:26.
4. Political concepts and institutions (Marxism, communism, fascism, nationalism, democracy, theocracy, etc.).
a. U.S. Constitution (at one time, many considered it divinely inspired). Document conceived by men.
b. Much good and some bad, but not Godís law, Matt. 15:7-9.
c. Society erodes, decays, and finally disintegrates when its citizens choose to violate their civil and moral compact with each other, 1 Pet. 2:13-17.
d. When the state demands allegiance before God, that nation is doomed, Rev. 13:15-18.
III. SAINTS REMAIN LOYAL TO THE LORD DURING PERIODS OF NATIONAL DECLINE.
A. Satan is Behind Nations that Refuse God, Rev. 13:1-2.
1. Saints persevere / prevail thru faith in Christ, Rev. 12:10-12.
2. Know our enemy and be strong in the Lord, Eph. 6:10-13.
B. Our Citizenship is in Heaven, Phil. 3:20.
1. Do not be distracted by earthly citizenship.
2. Render to Caesar and be loyal to God, Matt. 22:21.
C. Saints Remain Salt and Light, Matt. 5:13-16; 1 Pet. 2:11-12.
-God pledged to Abraham He would not destroy Sodom if He found 10 righteous people there, but He did not (Gen. 18:32).
1. Godís day of judgment against nations is fierce (cf. Assyria against Israel), Isa. 5:24-25, 26-30.
2. Yet, Godís hand of mercy is still stretched out for all who repent and will call on His name, Jer. 26:1-6.
3. What can the righteous do when nations fall? Psalm 11:3 (Part 2)
By: Joe R. Price
Posted August 17, 2021