Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Philippians 2:5-11
What Unity Looks Like
1. The “unity of the Spirit” looks very different from the unity offered by the churches of men:
a. Ecumenical | Denominational “agree to disagree” over the church, worship, organization, work, doctrine, and morality.
b. Unity in Christ, Eph. 4:4-6.
2. We continue our examination of what unity looks like from Phil. 2.
I. UNITY LOOKS LIKE BEING WATCHFUL FOR THE WELFARE OF OTHERS BEFORE OURSELVES, Phil. 2:4 (3).
A. This Does Not Endorse being Busybodies, 1 Pet. 4:15 (2 Thess. 3:11).
1. Gossip destroys unity, Prov. 16:27-28; 17:9.
2. Talk to each other, not about each other.
B. The Interests of Others is Our First Concern (we must eliminate pride and selfishness to have and keep unity).
1. Why? Because we are members of same body, 1 Cor. 12:25-27.
a. By sharing the same mind of looking out for needs of others.
b. By eliminating selfish ambition and conceit, Rom. 12:16.
c. Unity and harmony is achieved and maintained.
3. Then we will be helping each other overcome sin, and finally go to heaven together, Gal. 6:1-3; James 5:19-20.
II. UNITY LOOKS LIKE CHRIST JESUS, Phil. 2:5.
A. Christ's Work of Redemption Shows Us the Mind (Heart) it Takes to be United.
1. His sacrifice, Phil. 2:6-7 (John 17:5).
-To be united we must humbly sacrifice ourselves for others.
2. His submission, Phil. 2:7.
a. Unwavering commitment to the word and will of God.
b. Unwavering devotion to each other that yields to one another (Eph. 5:21; 1 Pet. 5:5-7).
3. His steadfastness, Phil. 2:7-8 (Eph. 4:2-3).
-The mind of Christ: In love He was longsuffering, forbearing, and diligence.
B. Christ Had the Mind to Please Others Instead of Himself, Rom. 15:1-3.
-Treating each other this way keeps unity in the bond of peace.
C. Having the Mind of Christ Eliminates:
1. Pettiness and advances genuine care among one another.
2. Driving wedges between faithful brethren and promotes oneness.
3. Speaking against one another. The mind of Christ prompts us to speak up for each other, Col. 3:13.
-When we each have the mind of Christ, unity results because of our mutual agreement in truth, Amos 3:3; John 10:30.
1. Unity among God’s people is a great blessing, Psalm 133:1.
2. Factiousness and division is a great curse oF carnality, chaos, and corruption, 1 Cor 1:10-11; 3:3-4; Gal. 5:20.
3. May God help us develop and have the mind of Christ, to obey Christ in all things, and to have the blessing of unity, Rom 15:5-7.
Go to Part 1
By: Joe R. Price
Posted August 25, 2021