Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Luke 16:1-8
Shrewdness of the Sons of this Age
1. Jesus drew attention to the shrewdness of the sons of this age, Luke 16:8.
a. Shrewd: “intelligent, wise…prudent” (Thayer, 658).
b. “Mindful of one’s interests” (Ibid), Matt. 10:16.
2. Take some lessons from the sons of this age to lay up treasures in heaven, Matt. 6:19-21.
I. SONS OF THIS AGE TEACH US LESSONS ON SHREWDNESS.
A. Sons of this Age are Committed to their Survival.
1. Devoted to material survival and self-preservation, Luke 16:1-8 (3-4).
2. Sons of light: Devoted to things above, Col. 3:1-5 (1-11).
B. Sons of this Age are Often More Aware of their Circumstances than Sons of Light, Luke 16:2-4.
1. Alertness of snakes, Matt. 10:16 (preservation, protection).
2. Avoid being unaware of spiritual dangers, 1 Cor. 10:1.
3. Naiveté is not necessarily a virtue, Matt. 10:16; Rom. 16:17-18.
a. In innocence, yes, 1 Cor. 14:20.
b. In understanding, must be mature, 1 Cor. 14:20.
-Don’t believe everything you are told (1 Thess. 5:21-22).
-Truth of Christ's word (John 8:31-32).
4. Be watchful, 1 Thess. 5:4-9; 1 Pet. 5:8; Matt. 25:13; 26:41.
C. Sons of this Age Use their Knowledge to Achieve their Objectives, Luke 16:3-4 (self-preservation).
1. Do not be ignorant, 1 Cor. 12:1; 1 Thess. 4:13.
2. Be mature in understanding, 1 Cor. 14:20.
3. Avoid self-deception of conceit, Rom. 11:25.
4. Source and result of understanding, Eph. 3:3-5; Jas. 3:13.
a. What is your objective: Evangelism? Spiritual growth? Etc.
b. Don’t go into anything you want to achieve without knowledge, Hosea 4:6.
D. Sons of this Age Stay Focused on their Goal, Luke 16:4.
1. They are about survival in the material world.
2. We need to be survivors in the spiritual realm, Lk. 16:9.
3. We are too easily distracted, Mk. 4:18-19.
II. WHAT SHOULD WE DO? Luke 16:9-12
A. Be Faithful Stewards of Material Blessings, 16:9.
-Trustworthiness in material things (“what is least,” 16:10).
B. Be Faithful Stewards of Spiritual Blessings.
-Equipped to be faithful “in much” (spiritual riches, 16:11-12; Col. 2:2-3, 6-8). How?
1. Keep godly priorities, Luke 16:13 (Matt. 6:33-34).
2. Use material blessings to do good and lay up eternal treasures, Luke 12:33-34 (1 Tim. 6:17-19) Acts 20:35.
3. Take care of spiritual wealth…eternal welfare, Luke 16:11-12.
a. Don’t be lovers of money, Luke 16:14-15.
b. Don’t leave our first love, Rev. 2:4-5.
c. Don’t become lukewarm in our faith, Rev. 3:15-18.
d. Abound in the work of the Lord, 1 Cor. 15:58.
1. We cannot serve two masters (God and riches), Lk. 16:13.
2. Spiritual riches must come first, or our day of accounting (judgment) will bring eternal sorrow and misery.
By: Joe R. Price
Posted April 4, 2021