Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: John 17:1-5
The Power of Christ
1. Prophecy that Christ would rule amongst His enemies is fulfilled, Psa. 110:1-2 (Acts 2:33-36). He would exercise ruling authority.
2. While on earth, Jesus displayed His power and authority, John 5:19-23; 17:2, 4. After His resurrection, He used it again, Matt. 28:18-20.
3. Luke 4:31-6:11: Series of events that showed His power (authority).
1. The Authority of His Word, Lk. 4:31-32, 42-44.
-He commands and defeats sin with His word, Acts 2:40-41.
-The content and urgency of His preaching, Lk. 4:43-44; Rom. 10:13-17.
-Jesus will command death with His word, Jno. 5:28-29.
-We will be judged by His word, Jno. 12:48; Rev. 20:12.
2. His Authority over Demons, Lk. 4:33-37, 41.
-Shows His power over Satan, Lk. 11:14-23.
-We rely on His power in our struggle against evil, Eph. 6:10-13.
3. His Authority over Sickness, Lk. 4:38-40.
-Foretold His power over sin, Matt. 8:14-17.
-Prayer avails, Lk. 4:38; Jas. 5:14-15.
-By the power of His grace, we are made strong in weakness,
2 Cor. 12:7-10.
4. His Authority over Nature, Lk. 5:1-11.
-Peter put his faith in Christ’s word, 5:3-5.
-Produced a great catch of fish, and Peter’s confession of sins, 5:6, 8.
-Signified Christ’s power to save lost humanity, Lk. 5:10.
5. His Authority over Leprosy, Lk. 5:12-16.
-Christ is willingness to heal the most corrupt, Lk. 5:12-13.
-We must fall on our faces, imploring Jesus to heal us!
6. His Authority to Forgive Sins, Lk. 5:17-26.
-Jesus sees faith, and forgives sins, 5:20; Acts 2:37-38, 41; 22:16.
-Beyond expectation (“strange”), Lk. 5:26; Eph. 2:1, 4-5.
7. His Authority over Cultural Norms, Lk. 5:27-32.
-He defied human expectations to achieve divine purposes, Gal. 1:10 (2 Cor. 5:9; Jno. 8:29).
-Culture does not set our moral standard and conscience; Christ does.
8. His Authority to bring in New Things, Lk. 5:33-39.
-Jesus had power to introduce a new law (covenant), with better blessings, Heb. 8:6.
-Men’s expectations do not establish divine approval.
9. His Authority over the Sabbath, Lk. 6:1-11.
-He had power to use the Sabbath, without violating it, 6:1-5 (2, 5).
-He had power to explain the purpose of the Sabbath, 6:6-11 (9).
1. Jesus Christ has all authority, Matt. 28:18; Phil. 2:8-11.
2. He showed that authority while on earth; and He continues to exercise it now that He is in heaven at the right hand of God.
3. We must “kiss the Son” – Acknowledge and yield to His power in reverent service – Or perish throughout eternity, Psa. 2:11-12.
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: January 4, 2018