Living With An Eternal Perspective
-How To Keep Our Eyes On Heaven-
1. The distractions of the world can cause us to lose our heavenly rest just as the generation Israel died in the wilderness for their unbelief (Heb. 3:5-19; 4:1-2, 11).
2. Review Part 1: 1 Cor. 10:5-12 -- The sins of Israel are examples which warn us to escape the temptations of the world (rather than yield).
3. Col. 3:1-4 - We must live with an eternal perspective in this life.
4. "We will die in the wilderness if we fail to keep our eyes on Canaan."
I. THE ROOT OF THE PROBLEM IN FAILING TO KEEP OUR EYES ON HEAVEN: UNBELIEF - Heb. 3:7 - 4:2.
A. The Effects Of Unbelief:
1. Hardens the heart - 3:8, 13, 15.
a. The work & word of God will have no impact upon us - Matt. 13:12-16.
b. A heart hardened toward truth will not be penetrated by it (Matt. 13:4, 19)!
2. Eliminates reverence for God - 3:9-10.
a. Causes one to ignore what God has done! - Psa. 106:21-22
b. A heart of error which does not know God's ways results - v. 10.
3. Perpetuates evil - 3:12.
a. All kinds of evil comes from hard, error-filled hearts - Mk. 7:20-23
b. Faith is a protection against evil - Unbelief generates & perpetuates it!
4. Falling away - 3:12. (Christians can be eternally lost! - 10:26-27).
5. Disobedience - 3:18-19; 4:6.
a. Faith demonstrated by obedience - Lk. 6:46; Matt. 7:21; Jas. 2:18
b. Unbelief will not obey truth!
6. Brings death & rejection - 3:11, 17-19.
a. God's displeasure & wrath results from the sin of unbelief!
b. Rev.21:8 - The second death!
B. By Failing To Keep Our Eyes On Heaven, We Live In Unbelief!
1. cf. Israel - Acknowledged God, but by not obeying Him, evidenced unbelief!
2. We can acknowledge Christ - But must live by faith! - 2 Cor. 5:7.
II. SOLVING THE PROBLEM OF UNBELIEF.
-(Equipping Ourselves To Keep Our Eyes On Heaven).
A. Hear Gospel With An Open Heart - Heb. 4:1-2.
1. Lk. 8:8, 15, 18 - Attentive, honest & good, carefulness.
2. Our motives must be pure? Listen to God constantly!
B. Obey The Truth We Hear - Heb. 3:18-19; 4:6; 5:9.
1. Obedience must be pattern of our lives!
2. Rom. 6:16-23 - The end is eternal life!
C. Diligence In Our Faith - Heb. 4:11.
1. 3:6, 14 - Hold fast / Steadfastness in the face of world's distractions! - cf. Heb. 12:1-2; Matt. 6:33.
2. Rom. 12:11 - Laziness will never help us reach our goal of heaven!
D. Live In Hope - Heb. 3:6, 14; 4:9-10.
1. Our desire & expectation of rest drives us on to the goal - Heb. 6:11-12.
2. Glory in our hope with confidence (3:6, 14) - Rom. 5:2.
III. THE CHRISTIAN'S REST: HEAVEN - Heb. 4:8-11.
A. Rest From Our Works and Our Enemies.
1. Works - Heb. 4:4-5, 9-10 Þ Rev. 14:13.
2. Enemies - 1 Tim. 4:7 - Oh blessed thought!
B. The Christian's Objective: Col. 3:1-4.
1. Seek - v. 1. Pursue heavenly things.
2. Set - v. 2. Anchor our affections in heaven (Phil. 3:20).
3. Sustain - v. 3-4. Steadfast life in Christ (3:9-17; Gal. 2:20) - Rewarded in glory!
1. Where are you headed: Rest or destruction?!
2. Root of the problem: Unbelief. Overcome through diligent, faithful obedience to gospel of Christ -- Rejoice in your hope!
3. "We will die in the wilderness if we fail to keep our eyes on Canaan!"