Living With An Eternal Perspective
-A Warning To Keep Our Eyes On Heaven-
1. The world is a distracting place for the Christian to live--Turns our affections away from heaven (Values / time / energy / obedience).
2. Heb. 3:5-19 (Num. 13-14) - Rather than faithfully serve their God (who delivered them from Egyptian bondage), Israel hardened their hearts (v. 8), sinned & fell in wilderness (v. 17).
a. Israel did not enter the rest God planned for them due to unbelief (v. 18-19).
b. Psa. 106:19-27 - Sin left God no choice!
3. Heb. 4:1-2, 11 - We face similar possibility.
4. Must live w/ an eternal perspective of life: "We will die in the wilderness if we fail to keep our eyes on Canaan."
I. ISRAEL'S SINS: OUR WARNING - 1 Cor. 10:5-12.
-(v. 6, 11 - "earthly; "here & now" outlook).
A. Lust After Evil Things - 10:6 (Num. 11:4ff)
1. 1 Jno. 2:15-17; Jas. 1:13-15 - Not of God! World tempts with instant gratification.
2. We will die in the "wilderness of lust" if we set our eyes on evil desires!
B. Idolatry: Having Other God's Before The Lord - 10:7 (Exo. 32:6).
1. Exo. 20:3; Matt. 4:10 - We are tempted to serve/honor all sorts of gods (pleasure, power, money, recreation, self - Col. 3:5).
2. We will die in the "wilderness of idolatry" unless God reigns supreme in our lives!
C. Fornication: Defilement Of The Body - 10:8 (Num. 25:1-9).
1. 1 Cor. 6:15-20 - Body is the Lord's - To be joined to Lord - Honor the Lord with our body!
2. 1 Ths. 4:3-8 - Sanctification / self-control.
3. World glamorizes fornication -- We will die in the "wilderness of fornication" unless we set our eyes on honoring God with our bodies!
D. Make Trial Of The Lord: Tempting God - 10:9 (Num. 21:4-9); Matt. 4:7.
1. "Does God really mean what He says?"
2. Num. 14:22; Acts 5:9 - To deny the power of God & the truthfulness of God.
3. Ignoring God's will for sinful pursuits, yet believing we are with God! (Rom. 2:3)
4. We will die in the "wilderness of provocation" with such a light regard of God!
E. Murmuring: Complaining Against God's Ways - 10:10 (Num. 16:41-50); Phil. 2:14.
1. Prov. 19:3-Foolish are angry against God!
2. cf. MDR; Plan of salvation; Work / Organ. / Worship of church; Christian's obligations - Col. 3:17.
3. We will die in the "wilderness of murmuring" unless we learn contentment with God's ways!
1. If we allows the distractions of the world to catch our eyes, they will cause us to die in unbelief, and we will lose our eternal reward--1 Cor. 10:12-13; Heb. 3:12-13.
2. Remember: "We will die in the wilderness if we fail to keep our eyes on Canaan."
3. Part 2: Solving the problem of failing to live with an eternal perspective (how to live with an eternal perspective).