Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: John 5:18-23
God With Us
1. Prophetic announcement of God visiting humans is fulfilled in Jesus, Matt. 1:23 (Isa. 7:14); Jno. 1:1-3, 14.
2. The deity of Jesus has been attacked for centuries by religious liberals and materialists. Since the first century, Christians have wrestled with understanding the nature of Christ, and have withstood attacks against Jesus being God with us (in the flesh), 2 Jno. 7.
3. Jesus is fully God (deity) and fully human, Col. 2:9.
-He did not divest himself of His divinity (nature of God) to come to earth.
4. Traits of Jesus while on earth that establish the fullness of His deity (divine nature) – “God with us” (Immanuel).
I. JESUS KNEW PEOPLE’S HEARTS, Jno. 2:23-25 (Matt. 12:25; 9:4).
“This supernatural knowledge of man is a mark of deity. Some men of genius can read men better than others, but not in the sense meant here” (Word Pictures in the NT, A. T. Robertson).
A. An Attribute of God (Deity), Psa. 94:11; Prov. 15:11; Jer. 20:12; Acts 15:8.
B. Jesus Knows Our Hearts, Heb. 4:13.
1. God knows our heart, Lk. 16:15.
2. Jesus knows our heart, Acts 1:24.
3. God tests (exposes and judges) the hearts of men, Jer. 11:20.
4. Jesus will reveal and judge counsels of the heart, 1 Cor. 4:5.
II. JESUS FORGAVE SINS, Mk. 2:5-12.
A. “Who Can Forgive Sins But God Alone?” 2:7
1. They charged Jesus with blasphemy, 2:7.
2. His miracle(s) validated His power to forgive, 2:10-12.
B. “Who is this that Forgives Sins?” Lk. 7:48-49
1. God forgives sins; Psa. 51:1-2; Isa. 43:25 (Micah 7:18).
2. Jesus forgave sins while on earth, Lk. 7:47; 23:42-43.
3. Jesus is Immanuel (God with us).
C. Jesus is Willing to Forgive Your Sins, Col. 1:19-22.
1. Become a Christian, Acts 22:16.
2. Christian repents and confesses sins to God, 1 Jno. 1:9; Acts 8:22.
III. JESUS ACCEPTED WORSHIP (Matt. 4:10; Rev. 22:8-9).
A. His Healing Power Produced Worship, Matt. 8:2; Jno. 9:35-38.
B. His Power Over Nature Compelled Worship, Matt. 14:25-33.
C. His Power Over Death Prompted Worship, Matt. 28:9, 17.
D. His Ascension into Heaven Demanded Worship, Lk. 24:51-52.
1. Jesus knows men’s hearts, forgives sins, and accepts worship. These actions identify Him either as (fully) God with us or as a lying, hypocritical impostor.
2. Instead of trying to explain the unexplainable (the miracle of His incarnation), by faith we will be content to accept it and to proclaim to the world that Jesus is Immanuel (God with us).
By: Joe R. Price
Posted October 22, 2020