Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Matthew 12:25-30
With or Against Jesus
1. There is no neutrality with Jesus, Matt. 12:30 (Lk. 14:25-26).
2. There is no diversity in His revealed truth, Eph. 4:4-6.
3. The emphatic and absolute nature of Christ and his gospel is in stark contrast to the “all-inclusive” approach of most who claim to follow Jesus today.
4. Matt. 12 reveals some things we cannot do and be “with Jesus.”
I. CANNOT BIND HUMAN TRADITIONS AND BE “WITH JESUS”, Matt. 12:1-8. (Ex. Instrumental music in worship; denominationalism)
A. Binding Human Traditions Elevates Man’s Will above God’s Law, 12:1-4. (Not content with God’s way)
B. Binding Human Traditions Ignores Authorized Activities that do not Violate God’s Law, 12:5-7. (Ex. Congregational singing minimized by choirs, etc.)
1. Approved actions conform to revealed truth (Col. 3:17).
2. Actions of mercy, 12:7, 9-13.
C. Binding Human Traditions does not Reverence the Authority of Jesus, 12:8.
-Cannot bind human traditions and be “with Jesus”! (Col. 2:20-23)
II. CANNOT PROMOTE JESUS IN VIOLATION OF GOD’S PLAN AND BE “WITH JESUS”, Matt. 12:15-21.
A. The Savior is Made Known in His Service to Mankind (Isa. 42:1-4).
B. Men Attempt to Make Him Known in Unscriptural Ways:
1. The social gospel: Minister to the “whole man” through church-supported social agencies, “faith-based” initiatives, etc.)
2. The “me” gospel: “Felt needs” must be met (singles, married, widowed, divorced, etc.)
3. The ecumenical gospel (unity in diversity): Agreement on the lowest common denominator – Rejects absolute truth!
C. Our Confidence is in His Name (Power), 12:21 (Matt. 28:18-20).
-Cannot preach a false plan (false gospel) and be “with Jesus”! (Gal. 1:6-7)
III. CANNOT HOLD FALSE DOCTRINES ABOUT CHRIST AND BE “WITH JESUS”, Matt. 12:22-27.
A. Doctrines that Diminish/Remove His Deity, 12:22-24 (Col. 2:9).
B. Doctrines that Blasphemy His Power, 12:24-27.
-Cannot preach a false Jesus and be “with Jesus”!
IV. CANNOT HOLD FALSE DOCTRINES ABOUT THE KINGDOM AND BE “WITH JESUS”, Matt. 12:28.
A. The Kingdom has Come; Not the Kingdom was “Withdrawn”, Luke 11:20.
1. Christ’s miracles demonstrated the kingdom was being offered to men; it “has come upon you” (12:28), Mk. 1:14-15; 9:1.
2. Premillennial view that God withdrew the kingdom and substituted the church is false doctrine – not “with Jesus”!
B. The Kingdom is the Church, not a Physical Kingdom, Jno. 18:36; 6:15; Matt. 16:18-19; Lk. 17:20-21.
-Cannot reject the true kingdom of God and be “with Jesus”!
V. CANNOT REJECT THE HOLY SPIRIT AND HIS WORK AND BE “WITH JESUS”, Matt. 12:31-32.
A. Reduced to an Impersonal Force (Acts 5:3).
B. Caricatured into Ecstatic Emanations (Mk. 16:17-20). (Benny Hinn)
C. Ridiculed as the Revealer of All Truth (Jno. 16:13).
-Cannot hold diverse views about the Holy Spirit and be “with Jesus”!
VI. WHO IS “WITH JESUS”?
A. Those who Submit to the Absolute Finality and Authority of God’s Revealed Truth (12:1-14).
B. Those who Conform to the Plans of God (12:15-21).
C. Those who Believe He is the Son of God (12:22-30).
D. Those who are in His Kingdom Today (12:28; Col. 1:13).
E. Those who Accept the Work of and Obey the Gospel given by the Holy Spirit (12:32).
1. Those that are “with” Jesus keep his commandments…his word…and live as he lived, 1 Jno. 2:3-6.
2. Be “with Jesus” and not “with men” who are not “with Jesus”, 2 Jno. 9-11.