Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Hebrews 3:1-6
Our Relation to Jesus
1. Our heart is to be close to God (Matt. 15:7-9). Has your “fear of God” become just a “commandment” to obey? (Isa. 29:13)
2. How close is your heart to the Lord? How real is Jesus to you?
3. NT reveals amazing relationships between Christ and Christians which secure and strengthen our faith; and which call and compel the lost to be saved in Him.
I. JESUS IS THE APOSTLE OF OUR CONFESSION, Heb. 3:1.
-(apostolos: “a delegate, messenger, one sent forth with orders”, Thayer, 68)
A. Sent by the Father (with a word and a work).
1. His miracles testify to who sent Jesus, Jno. 5:36.
2. Jesus knows the Father because He sent Him – His miracles convinced many of this truth (the Christ), Jno. 7:25-29.
B. Sent to Speak the Word of God, Jno. 3:34.
1. By His gospel, sent to relieve sinners, Lk. 4:16-21.
2. His words give eternal life, but also judge, Jno. 12:48-50.
C. Sent as Savior of the World, 1 Jno. 4:14. (deliverer, preserver)
1. To die to prevent man’s death and give eternal life, Jno. 3:12-17.
2. He was sent for the purpose of giving eternal life, Jno. 17:3.
D. Jesus Sent His own Apostles into the World in Same Fashion, Jno. 20:21 (cf. 1 Jno. 4:14).
II. JESUS IS THE HIGH PRIEST OF OUR CONFESSION, Heb. 3:1.
A. The High Priest is Appointed for Men to Offer Gifts and Sacrifices for Sins, Heb. 5:1, 3 (cf. Aaron and sons, Heb. 5:4; Num. 3:10).
1. Jesus was appointed High Priest by God’s oath, Heb. 3:2; 5:5-6, 10; 7:20-21, 25-28.
2. Presented Himself as offering for sins, Heb. 8:3; 9:11-12, 24-26.
B. The High Priest has Compassion for Sinners, Heb. 5:2.
1. Jesus is a merciful and faithful High Priest because He has suffered through temptations, Heb. 2:17-18.
2. His sympathy emboldens us to ask God’s help, Heb. 4:14-16.
III. JESUS IS THE SON OVER GOD’S HOUSE, Heb. 3:2-6.
-Jesus is the Builder and Master of the house (church); Christians are the house (God’s house is the church, 1 Tim. 3:15).
A. Christians are Brethren of Christ, Heb. 2:11-12 (Psa. 22:22).
[NT: Brethren of Christ: a) His brothers by blood; b) All men; c) The apostles; d) Christians]
1. We are of one Father, 2:11 (God’s family, heirs with Christ, Gal. 4:4-7).
2. Jesus was made like us, His brethren, Heb. 2:13-17.
3. Those who do the will of the Father, Matt. 12:49-50 (46-50).
B. Christians are Partakers of Christ, Heb. 3:14. (fellowship)
1. metochos (1:9) – Partaker, partner, fellow (cf. 3:1; Lk. 5:7, “partners”).
2. We are companions with Christ in worship, temptations and trials – in life.
3. We are friends of Jesus when we obey Him, Jno. 15:14 (Matt. 28:20).
1. Jesus is not ashamed to call us His brethren, Heb. 2:11.
2. Will we be ashamed of Him?
a. Of His testimony? (2 Tim. 1:8; Rom. 1:16)
b. Of suffering for Him? (2 Tim. 1:12)
c. Of being a Christian? (1 Pet. 4:16)
3. Or, will we be partakers of Christ by holding our confidence firmly to the end? (Heb. 3:14)
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: April 17, 2019