Truth and the King's Penknife
1. Judah was being ruled by wicked king Jehoiakim, son of Josiah, 2 Chrn. 36:5.
2. God commanded His words be written, Jeremiah 36:1-2.
3. How people received God's word then is a commentary on how men respond to God's word today. We must examine how we react to what God's word says.
I. WHY GOD SENT SCRIPTURE TO MANKIND,
A. Please Note: Scripture is from God, not Man, Jeremiah 36:2, 4, 8, 10-11, 29.
1. How was it obtained? Jeremiah 36:17-18 (2, 4); 1:9
-Words of Jeremiah = Words of Jehovah, Jeremiah 36:10-11.
a. 2 Pet. 1:21; Heb. 1:1-2; 2 Tim. 3:16.
b. God's word, not man's, 1 Ths. 2:13 (1 Cor. 14:37; Gal. 1:11-12).
c. We must believe and obey scripture because it is from God!
B. God Gave the Scriptures to Expose Sin, Jeremiah 36:2-3.
1. Preach the word (scripture, 3:16) to reprove, rebuke...convict of sin, 2 Tim. 4:1-2; Tit. 1:9.
2. God sent a word we can know (understand) so that we can know (understand) our sin. (Rom. 7:7)
3. It is right for us to read and apply scripture, and with it to reveal God's judgment against sin.
C. God Gave the Scriptures To Produce Repentance, Jeremiah 36:3, 7.
-Correction comes through knowledge of the truth, 2 Tim. 2:24-26.
D. God Gave the Scriptures to Command Godly Living, Titus 2:11-12.
-2 Tim. 3:16-17-
II. HOW PEOPLE REACT TO GOD'S WORD:
A. Baruch: Obedient, Jeremiah 36:8. cf. Matt. 7:21, 24-27.
1. Today: People think they can partially obey and still please God.
B. The People of Jerusalem: Heard but Unresponsive, Jeremiah 36:10 (cf. Isa. 6:9-10); 4:4.
1. Hearts deceived and fattened by sin - Unreachable.
2. Today: Many do not understand the scriptures, not because it is impossible, but because their hearts and lives reject it.
C. Princes: Fear without Repentance, Jeremiah 36:13-19.
1. Curious to hear it, 36:15.
2. Afraid of it, 36:16..
3. Asked questions, 36:17-18.
4. Afraid of its consequences, 36:19
5. Yet, Didn't stand up and accept it, Jeremiah 36:24. cf. Acts 24:24-25
D. King Jehoiakim: Utter Contempt, Jeremiah 36:20-26.
-(Cut it up, burned it, not afraid, persecuted messenger)
1. How to be saved - Cut and burn!
2. True worship - Cut and burn!
3. Moral conduct - Cut and burn!
4. Modern penknives (Others have tried to use Jehoiakim's penknife):
a. Modernism toward the Bible.
b. Doctrines of men (Matt. 15:6-9).
c. Perversions without Bible authority (Gal. 1:6-9).
d. Twisting (2 Pet. 3:16).
e. Alternations vs. obedience (1 Sam. 15:22-23).
A. God's Word Survives Every Onslaught and Rejection, Jeremiah 36:27-28, 32. [1 Pet. 1:23-25]
B. Transgressors will be Destroyed, Jeremiah 36:30-31 (2 Chrn. 36:5-6; Jer. 22:18-19). [Rom. 2:5-6]
1. Shall we be like Jehoiakim? (Change, reject and/or try to destroy what we don't agree with in the word of God?)
2. If so, this will surely cost us our souls, Jno. 8:31-32; 12:48.