Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Proverbs 6:16-19
What God Values
1. Since God hates sin, we must, too. By knowing what God hates we also learn what God values, and what we must value.
2. Prov. 6:16-19 describes the values of God in reverse, using the body as a memory device.
a. Photo of the values of God in negative form. Develop positive picture of what God values.
b. By telling us what arouses the anger of God, Solomon shows us what brings a smile to the face of God.
3. God has planned life and eternity to favor the person who lives these values. GOD VALUES...
I. EYES OF HUMILITY, Prov. 6:17; Psa. 138:6.
-In a list of things God hates, the first is pride.
A. Pride Centers upon Self and Prevents a Relationship with God.
1. Pride says, “My way is right”, Prov. 21:2 (4).
2. Pride is disrespectful while it selfishly takes advantage of others, Prov. 30:11-14.
3. Stands between man and God, Jas. 4:6.
B. Humility Centers upon God, Prov. 3:5-7.
1. Trust, acknowledgement, follow, reverence, purity – Blessings.
2. God honors the humble, Lk. 14:7-11.
II. A TONGUE OF TRUTH, Prov. 6:17; 12:22.
A. The Curse of Deception (lies):
1. Rejects truth, Jno. 8:44-45.
2. Destroys trust (the basis of relationship), Eph. 5:25. (Marriage, business, gov’t, church...)
3. Brings shame, cf. Matt. 26:69-75 (Peter).
B. The Reward of Truth:
1. Its companions, Prov. 23:23.
2. Honor, Prov. 11:3.
3. Spiritual life, Eph. 4:15; 1 Pet. 1:22-23.
III. HANDS OF HONEST WORK, Prov. 6:17.
A. Hands that Shed Innocent Blood:
1. Take advantage of the helpless, Matt. 23:14. Harm instead of help.
2. Are often idle instead of working (rob, defraud, murder, etc.), Prov. 18:9.
B. Honest Labor is a Tribute to Man and to God, 1 Ths. 4:11-12; 1 Tim. 5:8.
IV. A GOOD HEART, Prov. 6:18 (11:20).
A. Wicked Hearts Bring Destruction, Gen. 6:5.
1. Evil begins in the heart, Mk. 7:21-23.
2. Must cleanse our heart, Jas. 4:8; Phil. 4:8.
B. Give Your Heart to God, Prov. 23:26; 4:23; Matt. 5:8 (26:39).
V. FEET OF CAUTION, Prov. 6:18.
A. Feet that Sense Danger and Stay Clear of Trouble, Prov. 1:15-16; Eph. 5:15.
1. Self-control, Prov. 4:14 (alluring).
2. Evaluation, Prov. 4:26.
3. Good judgment, Prov. 18:13.
B. Feet that Flee Sin and its Temptations Instead of Running to it, 2 Tim. 2:22.
VI. ADVOCATES OF JUSTICE and MERCY, Prov. 6:19.
A. False Witness tries to Harm, Matt. 26:59. (sinful motives)
B. We must Advocate Justice and Show Mercy, Prov. 3:3-4.
1. Honors God, Prov. 14:31.
2. Take joy in doing justice, Prov. 21:15.
3. Fellowship with God, Micah 6:6.
4. Conduct in kingdom, Zech. 8:16-17.
VII. CULTIVATORS OF PEACEFUL RELATIONSHIPS, Prov. 6:19.
A. Instigators of Strife: Gossip, Anger, Meanness, Hate and Pride, Prov. 10:12; 16:28; 28:25
B. How to be Peacemakers (Matt. 5:9):
1. Be at peace with God, Prov. 16:7.
2. Seek love by overcoming (forgiving) sin, Prov. 17:9.
3. Stop contention before it starts, 17:14.
4. Diligence, Eph. 4:3.
1. To hate what God hates we must also love what God loves.
2. Put these positive values into your life.
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: February 6, 2014