Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Acts 1:4-8
Preparing to Spread the Gospel
Acts of the Apostles is the grand and glorious expression of the Great
Commission – God’s commentary of it.
2. Acts is key to understanding the rest of the New Testament:
a. Contains personal testimony of the eyewitnesses to the life of Christ.
b. Gives us understanding about the church (its identity, origin, membership, organization, mission and work, its growth and its reaction to persecution).
c. Reveals the work of the Holy Spirit in the scheme of redemption.
d. Records the plan of salvation (what sinners were told to do and what they did to be saved).
e. Provides the historical setting for most of the other NT books.
f. Acts shows “The Way” is of God and not man, Acts 5:38-39.
3. Acts 1: “You shall be witnesses to me…” (1:8) – Preparing to spread the gospel of Christ to the world.
A. The Former Account: Gospel of Luke, Lk. 1:1-4 (24:36-53; Acts 1:1-12).
B. The Apostles of Christ:
1. Chosen by Jesus, 1:2 (Lk. 6:13; Jno. 15:16, 19).
2. After Christ’s resurrection:
a. They saw many unmistakable evidences of His resurrection (eyewitnesses), 1:3 (1 Cor. 15:3-8).
b. They were put under commandment by Him, 1:2 (Matt. 28:18-20; Mk. 16:15).
c. Christ taught them about the kingdom, 1:2-3 (Lk. 24:44).
d. They would be baptized with the Holy Spirit, 1:4-8 (2:1-4).
-We can confidently believe and follow what they taught, 1 Jno. 1:1-5 (1 Cor. 14:37).
PROMISE OF HOLY SPIRIT BAPTISM,
A. We can Trust the Divine Source of the Gospel because of the Heavenly Power they Received.
1. Revelation, Jno. 14:25-26; 15:26-27; 16:13-14.
2. Inspiration, Matt. 10:19-20.
3. Confirmation, Mk. 16:17-20. (miracles)
4. Witnesses of Christ to the world, 1:8 (Jno. 15:27).
-We can confidently receive the gospel as it is in truth, the word of God, 1 Ths. 2:13.
THE ASCENSION OF JESUS,
A. Jesus is Exalted and Reigning in Heaven, Eph. 1:20-23 (Dan. 7:13-14).
B. Jesus will Return One Day, 1 Ths. 4:16-18.
-The faithful are comforted because our hope is real.
SELECTION OF MATTHIAS,
A. The Wicked will not Prosper, 1:15-20.
1. Judas had received a part (shared) in the apostolic mission, 1:17.
2. He let Satan enter his heart, Jno. 13:2, 27.
3. In his sin, Judas lost his soul, 1:25.
4. Lesson: We can fall, too, 1 Cor. 10:12; 2 Pet. 3:17.
5. Wicked must be removed from places of responsibility, 1:20; Psa. 69:25; 109:8.
a. In the church (elders, deacons, preachers), 1 Tim. 5:19-21.
b. In civil government (Jno. 19:10-11).
B. The Apostles are Credible Witnesses, 1:21-26.
1. Meet the qualifications of an apostle:
a. Accompanied Christ all of His ministry, 1:21-22.
b. Eyewitness of resurrected Christ, 1:22.
2. Chosen by the Lord (not men), 1:23-25.
-The testimony of the apostles must be heard.
1. Acts: Assures us that the gospel is from God:
a. Infallible (unmistakable) proofs of His resurrection (1:3),
b. Heavenly power promised (HS baptism, 1:4-5),
c. Jesus ascended into heaven (1:9-11), and
d. The eyewitness credibility of the apostles (1:8,
2. The “mustard seed” was about to be planted that would grow into a great tree (Matt. 13:31-32).
3. Will you join with these who long ago “continued with one accord in prayer and supplication” to God? Acts 1:14
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: May 11, 2013