Power Point Show MP3 Audio
Scripture Reading: Romans 2:3-11
Walk About Zion
1. Zion: Name first given to the Canaanite fortress city of Jebus when David conquered the citadel (stronghold) about 1000 b.c. The ďcity of DavidĒ, then the Temple Hill, and with expansion, the entire city of Jerusalem, 2 Sam. 5:6-9 (1 Kgs. 8:1; Jer. 31:6; Amos 1:2; Isa. 2:3).
2. Zion comes to represent Godís rule among His people (David...Messiah - Godís anointed king reigns there), Psa. 2:6-7 (Micah 4:1-4).
3. Zion comes to stand for the kingdom of God, heavenly Jerusalem, the church of Christ, Heb. 12:22-23. Finally, heaven (Rev. 21:2, 10).
4. Psalm 48: The wonders of God ruling in Zion are praised.
I. ZION (CHURCH) IS RULED OVER BY GOD, Psa. 48:1-2.
A. The Lord Rules over His Kingdom, the Church.
1. Just as Godís rule in Zion was extolled, He reigns over the church is glorious, Dan. 7:13-14; Eph. 1:20-23.
2. He brings to the church His majesty, beauty and greatness.
B. The Privilege of Citizenship in Zion, Psa. 87:1-3, 5-6.
1. Preeminence of Zion: To be born in her was a blessing.
2. New birth to enter kingdom of God, Jno. 3:3, 5.
3. God recognizes those born there, Acts 2:47; Col. 1:13 (Phil. 3:20).
II. ZION (CHURCH): PLACE OF SALVATION AND REFUGE, Psa. 48:3-8.
A. The Lord is the Refuge of His Church, 48:3; cf. Isa. 62:1-2.
1. Christians live by faith, safe from sin and enemies of the faith, Psa. 125:1-2.
2. Our salvation is secure in Christ, Rom. 8:37-39.
B. The Enemies of Zion cannot Overwhelm Her, Psa. 48:5-8.
1. Enemies of ancient Zion turned away in terror at the prospect of doing battle against her (Psa. 48:5-7).
2. Likewise, the church stands, Dan. 2:44; Matt. 16:18; Rev. 14:1-5.
a. Victorious through faith, 1 Jno. 5:4.
b. Resist the devil, Jas. 4:7.
c. By wearing Godís armor, Eph. 6:10-13.
III. ZION (THE CHURCH) IS GODíS TEMPLE, Psa. 48:9-11 (132:13-14).
A. The Church is a Habitation of God, Eph. 2:19-22.
1. As the OT temple was the place God ďdweltĒ with His people, even so the church is Godís ďtempleĒ, Micah 4:1-2 (Eph. 2:19-22).
2. Royal priesthood...holy nation Ė The church must be holy!
B. Blessings in Godís Temple, the Church:
1. Grace (loving kindness), 48:9. His church has Godís mercy and salvation, Rom. 5:1-2.
2. Authority (name, power), 48:10. Godís authority in Zion is complete, Eph. 1:22-23; Col. 1:18.
3. Righteousness of God, 48:10. Godís righteousness fills His church, cf. Isa. 62:1-2; Rom. 1:17; Matt. 6:33.
4. Judgments of God, 48:11. The church follows His judgments Ė contained in His word, 1 Cor. 14:37.
5. Praise of God, 48:11 (for all His blessings, Eph. 3:20-21).
IV. WALK ABOUT ZION, Psa. 48:12-14. (Examine the church.)
A. Number Her Towers, 48:12 (towers for observation).
1. Watchmen are blessings from God, Ezek. 3:17.
2. Watchmen on towers of Zion, Acts 20:28 (Heb. 13:17); 1 Pet. 5:8.
B. Mark Well Her Bulwarks (defenses), 48:13.
1. What are her defenses to stand against worldliness, indifference, false doctrine, inward strife and division? Eph. 6:10-13, 14-17
2. Godís protection at work (48:3-6); 2 Cor. 10:3-6.
C. Consider Her Palaces, 48:13. (cf. Jerusalem, David and Solomon)
1. The beauties of the church include (Eph. 5:27):
a. Salvation from sin (redeemed, Rev. 14:1, 3-4).
b. Fellowship with God and His saints (temple of God).
c. The privilege of service as priests (Psa. 84:10).
d. Security and victory in Christ (Rom. 8:37-39).
e. Hope of eternal life (due to heavenly citizenship, Heb. 12:23; Phil. 3:20).
1. God guides Zion through life and secures her in death, Psa. 48:14.
2. Are you a citizen of Zion? Enter Godís kingdom now.
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: December 11, 2014