Topical Sermons Power Point Show
Scripture Reading: 1 John 2:8-14
Exhort the Young Men
1. Titus 2:6 – Exhort young men to control their desires & passions: They have many challenges, duties & opportunities as Christians.
2. You are the future!
a. Of the home: Husbands & fathers.
b. Of the church: Elders, deacons, preachers, teachers and song & worship leaders.
3. Will the home & the church thrive & flourish under your leadership, faith & devotion (to the Lord, His truth & your family)? Or will it deteriorate from lack of attention & faithfulness? (1 Tim. 3:15)
4. Exhort the young men to see your potential, your possibilities & your place in the kingdom of God.
I. THE BLESSINGS OF YOUTH – Prov. 20:29 (splendor, excellence).
A. Physical Strength.
1. Yet, do not trust is physical strength, but in God – Jer. 9:23-24.
2. Body will fail you…God will not! (Eccl. 12:7; Heb. 13:5).
B. Mental Strength.
1. Peak of mental performance – Lk. 2:52.
2. Think soberly (to put a moderate estimate upon one’s self, think of one’s self soberly), with faith – Rom. 12:3 (16).
C. Spiritual Strength?
1. Spiritual strength (faith) requires time, attention & devotion.
2. Selfishness is a particular temptation that young people must overcome to be spiritually strong:
a. Flee fleshly lusts – 2 Tim. 2:22.
b. Use of time – Eccl. 12:1.
c. Accepting responsibilities – 1 Tim. 4:12.
3. Contrast Joseph (Gen. 39:9, 21) & Samson (Judg. 13:5, 25; 16:20).
4. 1 Jno. 2:14: Young men, you are strong when:
a. Word of God abides in you (Freedom, faith, future) – Col. 3:16.
b. Overcome the wicked one.
1) Resist the devil – Jas. 4:8
2) Fight & don’t give up! – 1 Tim. 6:12; Prov. 24:10, 16
II. REASONS WHY YOU MUST MASTER THE FLESH & LIVE BY FAITH.
A. Indulgence in the Flesh Will, Sooner or Later, Bring Ruin to Your Body & Soul – Lk. 15:13; 1 Pet. 4:1-5.
1. If you live in sin you will lose your soul!
2. cf. Alcohol, drugs, sexual promiscuity, dishonesty – All these damage the quality of life now & well as after death.
3. Neglect of the soul will ultimately bring damnation!
B. A Young Man Who will not Control Himself Gives Little Promise of Being Useful or Happy – 1 Tim. 5:6; Prov. 21:17; 1 Pet. 3:10-12 (Matt. 5:3-10). (cf. Kobe Bryant as an example) (Heb. 11:25)
1. Control & direct your desires toward godliness; your words toward helpfulness, kindness & truth & your actions toward righteousness.
2. How will you be a faithful husband & not control the flesh? (1 Cor. 7:2)
3. Be an honest employee by valuing honesty! (Tit. 2:10)
4. Be active in church work & not manage your time & resources toward that end?
C. The Future of the Church Depends on You – Acts 20:29-32.
1. Will you help hold fast to the sound words? (2 Tim. 1:13)
2. Or will you contribute to the weakening of God’s people?
D. Like Those Before You, You Will Die (Maybe Soon).
1. Be prepared to stand before God (Heb. 9:27).
2. Warning: Don’t say won’t happen to you! – cf. Amos 6:3
3. You will never regret living by faith!
III. SET THE EXAMPLE TO THE BELIEVERS! – 1 Tim. 4:12
A. Learn & Live the Bible – 1 Tim. 4:13.
B. Don’t Neglect Your Advantages & Blessings – 1 Tim. 4:14 (Heb. 12:16).
C. Devote Yourself to Spiritual Growth & Service – 1 Tim. 4:15 (2 Pet. 3:18).
D. Keep Proper Priorities in Your Life – Matt. 6:31-34. (Lord will bless you now & eternally!)
1. Rejoice, remove & remember – Eccl. 11:9-12:1.
2. Put God’s word in your heart & obey His will in mercy & truth – You will find favor with God & man! – Prov. 3:1-4