(Adapted from: Gods Prophetic Word, Wallace, pp.193-199)
1. Term "church age" is common in millennial circles. It is a part of the theory that Jesus Christ will return to earth & establish His kingdom & reign in personal presence on earth for literal 1000 years.
2. Theory says church a substitute for kingdom since the Jews rejected Jesus.
3. But: The church is the kingdom Christ established - Mk. 9:1; Acts 1:8; 2:1-4.
4. Therefore, why bring Christ back to the earth? What would Jesus do, which He has not done, if He should return to dwell on the earth again?
I. HIS MISSION OF REDEMPTION IS COMPLETE - Eph. 1:7-10.
A. Forgiveness / Redemption Now Available In Christ - Col. 1:13-14.
B. All Things Pertaining To Our Salvation Have Been "Summed Up" In Christ - v. 10.
1. "Dispensation of fullness of times" - Gospel age (Gal. 4:4).
2. "All things" - Prophecies about Christ's saving capacity:
a. Heb. 1:2 - Christ "heir" of all things.
b. v. 1 - Things spoken by prophets - (cf. Isa. 53:5). Heb. 10:12-13; 1 Cor. 15:23-26.
c. "All things" of Eph.1:10 & Heb. 1:2 are same "all things."
3. Heb.1:2-4 - Nothing left - His inheritance as Savior is complete!
-He Doesnt Need To Come To Earth To Complete Redemption!
II. HIS REVELATION IS COMPLETE - Jude 3.
A. Gods Scheme Of Redemption Reached Its Zenith In Christ.
-Eph. 1:9 - Has made known unto us the mystery of His will!
1. Nothing held over for a future "age."
2. 2 Tim. 3:16-17 - Made complete now by His complete revelation.
-He Doesn't Need To Come To Earth To Deliver New Revelation!
III. HIS AUTHORITY IS COMPLETE - Matt. 28:18-20.
A. All Authority Implies Completeness.
1. Authority exercised in heaven & on earth - v. 18.
2. Col. 1:13 - Rules over kingdom now.
3. Couldnt have anymore authority if on earth! (Less! - Heb. 8:4)
B. Christ Has Preeminence Now - Col. 1:16-19.
1. Over the natural world & the spiritual world!
2. If His headship & rule are not now complete, He doesnt have preeminence over all things! - Col. 1:19 - All fullness now!
-He Doesn't Need To Come To Earth To Have More Authority!
IV. HIS NAME IS COMPLETE - Eph. 1:20-21 (Dan. 7:13-14).
A. Jesus Christ Is Above All Rule & Authority & Power - v. 21.
1. Heb. 1:3-4 - Rank, position, authority.
2. Exercises authority over everything else! cf. Isa. 66:1
B. He Is Above All Dominion - v. 21.
1. His domain is not limited
by earthly borders.
2. Psa. 2:7-8 - His domain: All the earth!
3. Acts 13:33 - Fulfilled - Now has dominion!
C. He Is Above Every Name That Is Named - v. 21.
1. 1 Tim. 6:15 - He is the only Potentate - Above all others!
2. Eph. 1:22 - Has put all things under Him!
-He Doesn't Need To Come To Earth To Receive A Better Name!
V. HIS GLORY IS COMPLETE.
A. His Glory Is Received In His Kingdom - Matt. 20:20-21; Mk. 10:37.
-When He entered His glory, He also entered His kingdom.
B. Jesus Entered His Glory When He Was Raised & Ascended To Heaven - Lk. 24:25-26; 1 Pet. 1:21.
C. Jesus Received All Glory - Jno. 17:5, 10 (not just part of it).
-Since His glory is compete, His kingdom is complete.
-He Doesn't Need To Come To Earth To Obtain Greater Glory!
VI. HIS CHURCH IS COMPLETE - Eph. 1:22-23.
A. The Church Is The Fullness Of Christ - v. 23.
1. If the church lacks anything that can be obtained in Christ, then the church would not be the fullness of Christ!
2. If the church is incomplete, so is Christ!
a. But Christ is complete - So is the church (Col. 2:10).
b. Church not a substitute - It is the fullness of Christ.
-He Doesn't Need To Come To Earth To Offer His Fullness To Man!
VII. CHRISTS CONQUEST OVER SATAN & SIN IS COMPLETE - Heb. 2:14-15
A. Jesus Entered The Strong Man's House & Bound Him - Matt. 12:29.
-(1 Jno. 3:8). Spoiled Satan's goods. Don't need to fear death now!
-He Doesn't Need To Come To Earth To Free Us From Bondage!
1. Jno. 17:4 - Accomplished His work on earth!
2. Eph. 3:10-11 - The church is not an afterthought.
3. Christ will never set foot on the earth! Will you live with Him in heaven?