HOW THE CHRISTIAN DIES
1. How we face death makes a statement about how we live, Heb. 11:35.
a. Aristides (125 AD) wrote a friend about a new religion: "If any righteous [one] among the Christians passes from this world, they rejoice and offer thanks to God. They escort his [the] body with songs and thanksgiving as if he [she] were setting out from one place to another NEAR BY." (cf. 1 Ths. 4:13)
b. Live as saint - Die with thanks.
c. Live in sin - Die in darkness and despair.
2. Psa.116:15 - Death of saints precious (valued, prized).
3. How do you view your death? How does the Christian die?
I. THE CHRISTIAN DIES IN HOPE, Phil. 1:21-23; Col. 1:3-5; 1 Ths. 4:13-16.
A. With the Joy of Eternal Salvation.
1. 1 Ths. 1:10 - Delivered from wrath by Jesus.
2. 1 Ths. 5:9-11 - We live with Christ now - death wont destroy that - Enhance it!
B. With an Expectation of the Resurrection of Life, Jno. 5:28-29.
1. 1 Cor. 15:20-22 - Because of Jesus' resurrection.
2. 1 Cor. 15:51-53 - At last trump - Incorruptible / Immortality.
3. 1 Cor. 6:14 - Power of God at work.
C. With a Desire for Heaven.
1. 2 Cor. 5:1 - Heavenly house.
2. Jno. 14:2-3 - Mansions prepared.
3. Heb. 11:13-16 - Pilgrims / strangers seeking their own country - Heavenly city.
II. THE CHRISTIAN DIES IN COMFORT, 1 Ths. 4:16-18.
-(This does not mean pain cannot attend the Christian's death, but that a knowledge of what awaits him gives assurance, not fear.)
A. With the Assurance that God is in Control.
1. 1 Cor. 15:24-26 - Power over death in resurrection.
a. Heb. 2:14-15 - Removes fear of death.
b. 2 Tim. 1:10 - Gospel reveals His power.
2. Christian lives by faith in His power (Rev. 1:17-18) -- Death is not the end.
3. Fear of death need not overtake us.
B. There is Victory Over Death in Jesus.
1. Freedom from trials, temptations, burdens and despair - REST (Rev. 14:13).
2. Rom. 8:38-39 - Death does not defeat the Christian.
III. THE CHRISTIAN DIES IN FAITH, Heb. 11:13.
A. Confidently Believing in a Future Judgment.
1. Heb. 9:27 - He is ready for his appointment.
2. Heb. 10:26-27 - Adversaries of Christ face a fearful judgment of fire!
3. 2 Ths. 1:3-9 - A time of righting wrongs - Of rest and vengeance.
B. Confidently Believing in a Future Reward, 2 Tim. 4:6-8.
1. 1 Pet. 1:4 - Reserved in heaven.
2. Col. 3:4 - Glory with Christ when He comes (cf. Matt. 25:31-34, 46).
1. We must live so as to prepare for death.
2. When you die and go to meet the Lord, will you be meeting a stranger or a friend? Heb. 10:30-31