Topical Sermons Power Point Show
Scripture Reading: 1 John 2:12-17
The Christian's Place in the World
1. “World” – Different usages in Bible (kosmos): “primarily order, arrangement, ornament, adornment” (Vine, 685).
a. The earth; by metonymy, the human race.
b. The sum of temporal possessions (Matt. 16:26).
c. Metaphorically, of the tongue, expressing magnitude (Jas. 3:6)
d. The present condition of human affairs, the system of evil in opposition to God; dominion of Satan; akin to carnality/the flesh.
2. The Christian must constantly know his/her relation to the world, Tit. 2:11-12 (aion, age); Jno.17:16.
a. The “world” not a distant object from which we are separated in time & space.
b. Lusts are “in” the world – Human heart (Matt. 5:28) – 1 Jno. 2:16.
3. Knowing our place in the world helps to secure our eternal hope & promote faithful endurance in life (Heb. 10:36).
I. SENT INTO THE WORLD (EARTH), Jno. 17:18; 20:21.
-Apostles were sent into the world equipped w/ truth (17:17) & sent by Christ as His ambassadors (representatives) of salvation into world.
-Principle: Xians are militant / spiritual activists in the enemy’s camp:
1) The priority of Christian’s faith is imperative, Matt. 6:33.
2) Readiness to promote truth, 1 Pet. 3:15.
3) Wisdom & sincere (discerning what is evil & choosing only what glorifies God, cf. Phil. 1:10).
II. PREACHING TO THE WORLD (LOST), Mk. 16:15.
1) Gospel is for the lost, Rom. 1:16.
2) Preaching the gospel is the means of saving lost, 1 Cor. 1:21.
3) We must be ready, willing, able to preach, Ro. 10:13-15; 1 Ths. 1:8.
-Preach Christ – Not self, 2 Cor. 4:3-6; 1 Cor. 2:2; Gal. 1:10.
III. THE LIGHT OF THE WORLD (OF SIN), Matt. 5:14-16; Phil. 2:15.
1) World is groping in the darkness of sin - cf. Eph. 5:7-8.
2) We have been called out of darkness into light (1 Pet. 2:9; Jno. 8:12)
3) Luminaries that:
a) Show the good works of God in our lives (2 Tim. 3:17).
b) That point people to God (not self); & honor God.
IV. NOT CONFORMED TO THE WORLD (OF EVIL), Jno.17:15; Rom.12:2.
1) We are not to shape ourselves into likeness of the world.
2) We are to conform to the image of the Son, Rom. 8:29.
3) We are losing our identity / distinctive nature of Christianity (our entertainment, school activities, doctrinal laxness) – 2 Cor. 6:17-18; 2 Tim. 2:19. [cf. Israel]
V. LOVE NOT THE WORLD (THE FLESH), 1 Jno. 2:15-17.
1) Our affections must be turned away from selfish, sinful lusts to God & heaven (home), Col. 3:1-3.
2) Eternity is forgotten when we love the world, v. 17; 2 Tim. 4:10.
VI. PASSING THROUGH THE WORLD (MATERIAL), 1 Pet. 2:11.
1) Stimulates proper values & contentment, Matt. 16:26; 1 Tim. 6:6-8.
2) Causes patient hope & faithful continuance, Heb. 11:8-10, 13-16.
VII. NO FRIENDSHIP WITH THE WORLD (ENEMY), Jas. 4:4; 1:27.
1) Idea of loving & being loved; endearment: We must spurn our former lover (the world).
2) Purity vs. defilement; Friend of God vs. friend of world, Phil. 4:8.
1. Jno. 15:18-21: Expect opposition from the world.
2. If none presently exists in your life, could it be that you are conformed to the world instead of being conformed to Christ?
3. The Christian’s place in the world is unique & vital – Be willing to stand out & stand up for Jesus.