1. Jno. 17:14-19 - As we live by the word of God we are "not of this world" (v. 14), kept from the evil one (v. 15), in fellowship with Christ (v. 16) and sanctified (v. 17, 19).
2. Are these songs we sing a true reflection of our heart (Eph. 5:19):
· "This world is not my home, I'm just a passing through "
· "Anywhere with Jesus is home sweet home"
· "Here We Are But Straying Pilgrims"
· "I've a home prepared where the saints abide, just over in the glory land. And I long to be by my Savior's side, just over in the glory land."
3. Worldliness is rampant among God's people!
a. Frightening thought: Worldliness makes us God's enemy lost! - Jas. 4:4
b. Forceful temptations: Struggle with Satan (1 Pet. 2:11).
c. Fortunate timing: Time to examine and repent! (2 Pet. 3:9)
d. Faithful transformation: From darkness to light (2 Pet. 1:3-4).
4. Are we guilty of worldliness?
a. Some would respond with a powerful, "No!", indignant at the mere suggestion that it might be so.
b. Others would answer, "I don't think so" or "I hope not."
c. Some might even ask, "What do you mean by worldliness?"
I. GOD'S DEFINITION OF WORLDLINESS.
A. World: System Of Evil In Opposition To God - 1 Jno. 2:15; Jas. 4:4. The dominion of Satan, 1 Jno. 5:19.
1. Rom. 12:2: When our motives, attitudes, values and conduct are shaped and molded (patterned) after the world, we are worldly!
2. Our objective: In Christ, we overcome the world, live for Jesus and please God - Jno. 16:33; Rom. 8:37; 1 Jno. 5:4.
II. THE THINGS OF THE WORLD - 1 Jno. 2:15-17.
A. All Sinful Things Of The World Fall Under These Three Categories.
1. The lust (desire) of the flesh: Carnality.
a. God has given certain desires that are good within themselves:
(1) For food - is good and natural, but gluttony is sinful. (Prov. 23:20-21)
(2) For drink - is good and natural, but drunkenness is sinful. (Eph. 5:18)
(3) For sleep - but laziness is wrong. (Prov. 6:10-11)
(4) For sexual pleasure - it too has its lawful place. (1 Cor. 7:2)
b. Misuse - sin and death - Jas. 1:14-15.
2. The lust of the eye (wanting things the eye can see): Covetousness.
a. Selfish consumption to please self - Jas. 4:1-3.
b. Life is not how many things we possess! - Lk. 12:15; Matt. 16:26
3. The pride of life (want to impress, be noticed, admired):
a. Many stress outward appearance and neglect soul Why? 1 Pet. 3:3-4
b. Many strive to succeed in the business world and put every waking moment into their business….Why? Eccl. 2:18 (Jas. 4:13-15); 1 Ths. 4:11-12
c. Seek honor from God, not man - Jno. 5:44.
III. THE CARES OF THE WORLD - Luke 8:14 (Mk. 4:18-19).
A. As Thorns Choke A Good Plant, There Are Things Which Choke Our Spiritual Lives.
1. Anxiety ("cares") over physical needs - Matt. 6:25-33; Phil. 4:6-8.
2. Riches (deceitfulness of riches, Mk. 4:19) - Materialism - Matt. 6:24; (Col. 3:5); 1 Tim. 6:10, 6; (Phil. 4:11-13).
3. Pleasures of life - 1 Tim. 5:6 (Heb. 11:25).
a. Some pleasures are wrong because God declares them wrong - 1 Pet. 4:3-4.
-(Licentiousness, lust and that which leads to it: pornography, immodesty, media filth, social drinking, dancing, etc. We come to view such things as the normal way of life!)
b. Some pleasures are not sinful but become so when put before God - cf. 2 Tim. 4:10. Many are too busy to pray, study, visit the sick, have home classes, come to all worship services -- these are things we choose! - Josh. 24:15 (Heb. 2:2-3)
IV. VICTORY OVER THE WORLD.
A. We Have Control Over Our Minds - Rom. 8:5; Col. 3:1-3.
1. Choose to occupy our minds with spiritual things, the word of Christ.
2. Declare war on worldly thoughts! - Phil.4:8; Col.3:16; 2 Cor.10:4-5
B. We Have Control Over Our Bodies - Rom. 6:13-14 (what we will do).
1. Obey the will of God - 1 Jno. 2:17.
2. Glorify God with our body - 1 Cor. 6:19-20.
C. We Take Inventory Of Ourselves (2 Cor. 13:5).
1. What is on our mind most of the time: evil or good?
2. On what are we spending our time: temporal or eternal?
1. Rom. 12:2 - The spiritual mind is key to overcoming worldliness.
2. Gal. 1:4 - Jesus died to save us from the present evil world.
3. 2 Pet. 2:20 - We escape the pollution of the world "through the knowledge
of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ" - Initially and how to continue to do so.
4. Gal. 6:7-9 - We will reap what we sow -- Don't stop doing good -- Eternal life!