Topical Sermons Power Point Show
Scripture Reading: Ephesians 4:17-24
1. 1 Pet. 2:19 - We are the bondservants of what (whom) conquers us.
2. Rom. 6:15-18 - Christians choose to be slaves of righteousness (6:11-14).
3. Yet, the world has captured too many Christians! - 1 Cor. 15:33-34
4. We must cast off the world & its darkness! - Rom. 13:12-14
I. WHAT IS THE WORLD & WORLDLINESS? - 1 Jno. 2:15-17
A. The World Is That System (Realm) Of Evil Which Is In Opposition To God ("this present evil age" - Gal. 1:4) - 2:15-16.
1. It is not the natural world, for God made the world & all things therein (Acts 4:24).
2. It is the dominion of Satan (god of this world) - 2 Cor. 4:4.
3. Thus, to be "worldly" is to be formed & fashioned after that which opposes God & His truth (i.e., sin, evil ) - Jas. 4:4.
B. Disciples Of Christ Are Not "Of This World" - Jno. 15:18-19.
II. HOW DOES WORLDLINESS PRESENT ITSELF TO US TODAY?
A. Worldliness Begins In The Mind (Heart) - Mk. 7:14-23.
1. Our senses are daily bombarded w/ worldliness.
2. It is a constant battle to remain pure in heart & body! 2 Tim. 2:22
3. Therefore: We must transform our minds! - Rom. 12:2
B. Worldliness Is Expressed Through The Flesh To Sin - Mk. 7:21-23; 1 Jno. 2:16.
1. Lust of the flesh - Desire for sensual, physical satisfaction.
2. Lust of the eyes - Covetous consumption.
3. Pride of life (vainglory, conceit in self; "an impious and empty presumption which trusts in the stability of earthy things").
C. We Must Open Our Eyes To See & Avoid The Worldliness Which Can So Easily Ensnare Us - Heb. 12:1; 1 Cor. 15:34.
1. Entertainment is full of it (every media; internet, etc.) - cf. Eph. 5:3.
2. Success in business, school & play is defined by worldly standards - cf. Matt. 16:26.
3. Recreation often reflects worldly pursuits, attitudes & activities.
4. Fashion is often driven by worldliness (sensuality) - 1 Pet. 3:3-4.
5. Language shows the presence of worldliness - Eph. 4:29.
6. The home is racked & worldliness - Eph. 5:22-27.
III. OVERCOMING THE WORLD: OUR CHALLENGE OF FAITH - 1 Jno. 5:4.
A. We Must Keep The Proper Love In Our Lives - 1 Jno. 2:15; Mk. 12: 29-31.
B. We Must Properly Identify Sin & Turn Away From It - 1 Jno. 2:16; 1 Ths. 5:21- 22 (1 Pet. 2:11).
-Do not make excuses for it, rationalize it, accommodate it -- Oppose it!
C. We Must Resist Temptations - Jno. 17:14-16.
1. Endure temptation & do not allow sin to deceive you! - Jas. 1:12-16.
2. Humility cures worldliness - Jas. 4:4-10.
D. We Must Set Our Affections (Mind) On Heavenly Things - Col. 3:1-4.
-Those things which we cherish, value & regard must be those things approved by God if we intend to "appear with Him in glory"!
1. 1 Jno. 2:17 - The world is temporal It will only temporarily satisfy you & then leave you with the pain, shambles, ruin & eternal punishment of sin!
2. Instead of choosing the world, "do the will of God" & abide forever in the love & glory of God!