Topical Sermons Power Point Show
Scripture Reading: James 2:14-26
"Works" in the New Testament (#1)
1. Increasingly, Christians are not fully understanding, emphasizing &/or accepting what the NT teaches on works.
2. One recently said, Works have nothing to do with salvation. (Such a statement must be set in a specific context to be true; in another context, it is false.)
3. Misunderstand NT teaching on the relationship of works & salvation leads to a twisting/denial of the word of God & rejection of salvation!
4. We must be able to distinguish what works are being discussed in given passages cf. Rom. 4:4-5; 11:6; Jas. 2:24.
I. DIFFERENT WORKS ARE DISCUSSED IN THE NT.
A. Other Works in NT
1. Works of God Jno. 5:17.
a. Creative work Heb. 4:4.
b. Redemptive work in Christ Eph. 1:11, 19-20.
c. Perfecting His people Phil. 2:12-13.
d. Works that Christ did Jno. 4:34; 5:17, 36; 9:3-4; 17:4.
e. Works that the Spirit does 1 Cor. 12:11.
f. Works (of God) that man does Jno. 6:28-29.
2. Works of iniquity Lk. 13:27.
a. Works of the flesh (Gal. 5:19-21).
b. Works of darkness (Eph. 5:11; Rom. 13:12).
c. Works of evil (2 Tim. 4:18).
d. Works of the devil (1 Jno. 3:8).
e. Hypocritical works Matt. 23:3.
3. Works of righteousness Acts 10:34-35.
a. Good works Matt. 5:16; Eph. 2:10; Heb. 13:21.
b. Works (fruits) of repentance Acts 26:20 (Matt. 3:8).
4. Works of the law Gal. 2:16 (Rom. 3:20, 28).
-Meritorious Rom. 4:1-4.
B. We Must Examine Our Own Works Gal. 6:4.
1. What is their nature?
2. What is their motive?
3. What is Gods will toward them?
II. WORKS THAT CANNOT JUSTIFY.
A. Works of Law Acts 13:38-39.
1. Law identifies sin Rom. 3:20 (7:7).
2. Law does not justify Rom. 3:20; Gal. 2:16.
3. Law brings wrath Rom. 4:15.
4. Law brings a curse Gal. 3:10-12.
B. These are the Works of Merit (boasting) by which Nobody is Saved Eph. 2:8-9.
III. WORKS THAT DO JUSTIFY.
A. Works (actions) of Faith Jas. 2:14-26. (Definition of saving faith Heb. 10:39)
1. Faith without works is:
a. Unprofitable & cannot save 2:14.
b. Alone & dead 2:15-17.
c. Unseen (incapable of demonstration) 2:18.
d. Demons have this kind of faith 2:19.
e. Barren 2:20.
2. Faith with works is perfected (completed):
a. Abraham justified by works of faith 2:21-24.
b. Rahab justified by works of faith 2:25 (Heb. 11:31).
c. Our faith, without works (actions), is dead 2:26.
B. This is Obedience to the Gospel Rom. 1:5; 16:26.
1. Saved when we are obedient to the faith Acts 6:7 (Rom. 6:17-18).
2. Save yourselves Acts 2:40 (act in faith obey commands).
1. Law does not save us (demands sinlessness, Gal. 3:10, 12).
2. We are saved by faith (demands humble obedience, Lk. 17:10).
3. Part 2: The relationship of grace, faith & works & our salvation.