CHRIST'S WORDS ON THE CROSS
1. What would we have said on the cross? (cf. 1 Pet. 2:21-23).
a. Think how we would have reacted & what we would have said.
b. Apply His sayings to our needs & how they teach us THE RIGHT THINGS TO DO when we face ill treatment / problems in life.
2. Chronology of His words? Suggested harmony.
3. Study the recorded words of Jesus while on the cross.
4. The LAST "RIGHTS" of Jesus!
I. "FATHER, FORGIVE THEM
" - Luke 23:34.
A. It Is Right To Have A Forgiving Spirit - Eph. 4:31-32.
1. Refuse to let grudges/unforgiving spirits devour you - Gal. 5:26, 15.
2. In offenses, a duty is placed upon the offender (Matt. 5:23-24) & the offended (Matt. 18:15).
3. Both cases require forgiveness! - Col. 3:13
B. Forgiveness Only Received When Sinner Responds In God's Way - Acts 2:36-40; 3:17-19
-Must have forgiving spirit, but we can't force a penitent spirit upon others.
II. "ASSUREDLY I SAY TO YOU, TODAY YOU WILL BE WITH ME IN
PARADISE" - Luke 23:43.
A. It Is Right To Seek To Be Remembered By Jesus - Matt. 27:44; Lk. 23:39-42.
1. Regardless of past deeds - 1 Tim. 1:12-16.
2. Matt. 7:21-22 - Accomplished by obedience.
3. Will you be in Paradise under His care?!
III. "WOMAN, BEHOLD THY SON!
BEHOLD THY MOTHER" -
A. It Is Right To Remember & Care For Our Loved Ones - 1 Tim. 5:4, 8, 16.
1. v. 4 - Demonstrates devout respect (instilled by training & lifestyle).
2. Eph. 6:2-3 - Honor your father & mother.
3. The unselfish love of Jesus is our example!
IV. "MY GOD, MY GOD, WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME?" - Matt.
A. It Is Right To Accept God's Will, Even When We Undergo Trials For Obeying It.
1. It is not wrong to be honest with God when we are troubled it is wrong to accuse God of being wrong & lose faith!
a. cf. MDR - "Are we reading it right?"
b. Plan of salvation / Worship / Work of church / Wicked prosper.
2. Psa. 22:22-24 - God hears & responds!
3. Rom. 11:33-36 - Anchor your faith in Him & His truth!
V. "I THIRST" - John 19:28.
A. It Is Right To Admit Your Need & Let Others Help.
1. If sinless Jesus had physical needs/hurts & could admit them & seek help, shouldn't we?! ("I don't need anybody" syndrome).
2. Phil. 4:13 - Partly achieved through the help of brethren (a blessing from Christ!) (cf. 2 Tim.1:16; Acts 6:1-6).
3. Overcome the conceited "Superman" concept!
VI. "IT IS FINISHED" - John 19:30.
A. It Is Right To Finish The Work God Gives Us To Do - cf. Jno. 17:4 (4:34).
1. Work we accepted at conversion - Rom.12:1.
2. Work which is consistent with our sonship - (Gal. 3:26) Jno. 8:29; 2 Cor. 5:9.
3. Christians sin...But it should not be planned! (cf. "Overtaken" - Gal. 6:1).
VII. "FATHER, INTO THY HANDS I COMMEND MY SPIRIT" -
A. It Is Right To Commit Ourselves To God's Safe Keeping - 1 Pet. 4:19 (2:23).
1. Be obedient, submissive, faithful to your task - cf. 2 Tim. 4:6-7.
2. Let God be in charge all the time, not just when you near death! - Matt. 6:33-34
The examples Jesus set with these words are always the right things for us to do!