Topical Sermons Power Point Show
Scripture Reading: Isaiah 55:6-13
The Word of God is not Bound
1. 2 Timothy contains Paul’s tender affection for a faithful servant & friend, & filled with repeated admonitions to endure hardships for the gospel, & thus receive the reward: 1:8-12; 3:10-12; 4:5-8, 16-18.
2. 2 Tim. 2:8-10 – Though Paul was in bonds as an evildoer, the word of God was (is) not bound! Therefore: Endure & serve!
3. Chained (bound, ASV): deo – “to bind, tie, fasten…to forbid, prohibit, declare to be illicit” (Thayer, 131).
a. Paul was imprisoned; restricted in his work.
b. Word of God is not bound -- Not restricted or limited.
4. The gospel would continue to fulfill its mission – cf. Phil. 1:12-14.
5. Some ways in which the word of God is not bound.
I. THE WORD OF GOD IS NOT BOUND IN ITS RELEVANCE.
A. Because of its Source: God – 2 Tim. 3:16 (“God-breathed”).
1. Accomplishes its purposes – Isa. 55:8-11.
2. Only 3 options:
a. God could not give an ever-relevant word (Impugns His power).
b. He could but would not (Impugns His integrity).
c. He could & did: Reveals & testifies of His power, integrity, wisdom & love!
3. How we view God & how we view the word of God are inseparably connected!
B. Because the Basic Needs of Men are Unchanged.
1. Men still need salvation, & the gospel reveals it – Rom. 1:16.
2. Men still need correction & encouragement from God – 2 Tim. 4:2. (cf. Needs of children from parents; Our need from God.)
3. Men still need to know how to live, & Bible tells them – Matt. 4:4. (cf. $ spent on “How To” books!!)
4. Men still need faith, God’s word still supplies source – Rom. 10:17.
C. Because of its Universal Application – Mk. 16:15.
1. No barriers to its application: Whatever language, land, culture or church – God’s word applies.
2. Church autonomy is not a restriction to the preaching of God’s word, either! (Acts 11:22; 15:23; 16:4-5)
II. THE WORD OF GOD IS NOT BOUND IN ITS POWER.
A. It is Still God’s Power to Save Sinners – Rom. 1:16.
1. Is able to make a believer out of an unbeliever, as it (“the faith”) produces personal faith by its revelation of truth & righteousness – Rom. 1:17.
2. Is able to bring the rebellious to repentance – Acts 2:37-41.
3. Bible is not a book of dead words – Heb. 4:12.
-Acts 7:38 – Living oracles given to later generations.
B. It Still Works in Believers – 1 Ths. 2:13.
1. Matures (1 Pet. 2:2), strengthens (Acts 20:32); comforts (Rom. 15:4), instructs (2 Tim. 3:16), etc.
2. We must use this great blessing God has given us!
III. THE WORD OF GOD IS NOT BOUND IN ITS SUFFICIENCY.
-(“An ample amount or quantity of what is needed, enough, adequate.”)
A. It is Sufficient to Make us all God Would Have Us to Be – 2 Tim. 3:17.
1. All things pertaining to life & godliness – 2 Pet. 1:3.
2. Church work, organization, worship, lifestyle, & doctrine.
3. Never needs revision, amending or updating!
B. Everything Added to or Deleted from Bible Teaching is Man’s Apology for God’s Work.
1. Creeds, confessions of faith, etc. – Supplant the Bible.
2. “New revelation” – Bible is insufficient.
3. Direct operation of the Spirit – Denies the Spirit’s work in producing the word of God (Jno. 16:13-15; 14:26).
4. Incorruptible & abides forever – 1 Pet. 1:22-25.
IV. THE WORD OF GOD IS NOT BOUND IN ITS JUDGMENT.
A. It is the Standard by which all will be Measured – Jno. 12:48; Rom. 2:16.
1. Its authority & judgment is not limited/restricted by:
a. Good intentions (1 Sam. 15:3, 15).
b. Doctrines & traditions of men (Matt. 15:3).
c. Feelings & opinions (Acts 26:9).
2. Must live within its authority because we will be judged by it.
1. Only sense in which God’s word can be bound is in man’s rejection of it – Acts 13:44-46.
a. By not allowing it free course; hardening our heart to it (2 Ths. 3:1).
b. Allowing sin to conceal its message from us (2 Cor. 4:3-4).
2. We must not make the eternal mistake of binding (restricting, limiting) its relevance, power, sufficiency & judgment in our lives (law of liberty, Jas. 1:25).