Topical Sermons Power Point Show
Scripture Reading: Psalms 119:105-112
THE DESTRUCTIVE NATURE OF THE BIBLE
1. Affirm the Bible is the inspired, infallible word of God.
2. Are you a daily Bible-reader? If not, why not? If so, why?
a. Just to say, “I read the Bible?”
b. To better yourself spiritually & have God’s approval (2 Tim. 2:15)?
3. The Bible is a glorious light, a precious treasure (2 Cor. 4:3-7); it is the sea bed in which the great pearl is found (Matt. 13:45-46).
4. Neglect of Bible reading & study results in spiritual weakness, susceptibility to Satan & the ruin of the soul, Eph. 6:13-17 (armor of God linked to the word of God).
5. Conversely, proper use of the Bible destroys the enemies of our faith, 2 Cor. 10:3-6.
I. THE BIBLE DESTROYS UNBELIEF, DOUBT & SKEPTICISM. (when we listen to it with an open mind, Lk. 8:8, 18; Jno. 8:43)
A. Faith is Produced by Word of God, Rom. 10:17 (Psa. 119:49-50).
-Many doubt Bible because they have read very little of it or done so with closed minds.
B. Truth & Dependability of Bible is Established by at least Two Things, 2 Pet. 1:16-21:
1. Fulfilled prophecy, 1:19, 20-21.
-Shows God is origin of the message, Deut. 18:18-19, 21-22.
2. Eyewitness testimony, 1:16-19.
-Confirms the historical accuracy of the word, Jno. 20:30-31.
3. So, we can rely on the truthfulness & dependability of God’s word as our standard for believing, Lk. 1:1-4; Acts 17:11-12.
II. THE BIBLE DESTROYS WORRY & FEAR.
A. God’s Word Contains Promised Help to Combat the Distractions to our Faith.
1. How shall we know God’s help w/o learning of it in His word?
2. God’s help includes:
a. Setting spiritual priorities, Matt. 6:33-34 (16:26).
b. Reverence & confess God, Lk. 12:4-9.
c. Rejoice & pray with thanksgiving, Phil. 4:4-7.
d. Assurance of good to those who love God, Rom. 8:28.
3. Reading & obeying the Bible grants peace of mind (free from worry & fear), cf. Psa. 119:25-32.
III. THE BIBLE DESTROYS INDIFFERENCE.
A. God’s Word Works in the Lives of Christians.
1. Received word…became examples…changed lives, 1 Ths. 2:13-14; 1:6-7.
2. Word bears fruit in us, Lk. 8:15; Col. 1:9-12 (wisdom, spiritual understanding, worthy walk, every good work, strength, patience, longsuffering, joy & thanks).
B. Humble Obedience Replaces Spiritual Indifference when we Read & Believe the Bible…
1. About creation, Psa. 8:3-9.
2. About the cross of Jesus, Jno. 3:16; Rom. 5:6-8; Gal. 2:20.
3. About our sin & God’s forgiveness in Christ (Rom. 3:23; Col. 1:21-23).
IV. THE BIBLE DESTROYS MORAL IMPURITY, Jno. 17:17; 1 Ths. 4:3.
A. Sin is Cleansed when we Follow Word of the Lord, Isa. 1:15-20; 1 Jno. 1:7.
1. Obedience essential to our salvation (Jno. 8:12) Heb. 5:9; Mk. 16:16; Rom. 6:17-18 (3-4).
2. Our mind (affections) is “set” as we read & obey God’s word, Col. 3:1-3.
V. THE BIBLE DESTROYS RELIGIOUS ERROR & DIVISION (2 Cor. 10:3-5).
A. The Only Standard for Unity is Truth, Jno. 17:17-21; Eph. 4:3-6.
1. Unity is achieved only when Bible is faithfully used as the final word of authority in our lives (all things).
2. We must allow truth to destroy error in us, or error will destroy us, Gal. 1:6-10; 2 Jno. 9.
1. Word of God can destroy all the things that separate us from God & His eternal blessings, Heb. 4:12.
2. But, we must allow it to do its work by believing & obeying it.
3. Are you reading the Bible & using it in your life?