WHY WOMEN ARE NOT TO TAKE (OR BE GIVEN) LEADERSHIP ROLES IN THE CHURCH
1. There is work for women to do in the church - the NT tells what that work is.
2. Growing pressure to have women present in business meetings - to participate in decision-making - and to be given leadership roles (elders/preachers/song leaders....).
3. Much of this has come from the change of roles of men & women in society.
4. Not our intent to oppress, suppress, mistreat women!
5. Col. 3:17 - For Bible-believers, Gods word is still the final word on what are acceptable roles for women in the church.
6. Bible reasons why women are not to be given leadership roles in the church.
I. SPECIFICALLY PROHIBITED - 1 Tim. 2:11-14.
A. Learning, Not Leading - 2:11.
1. v. 11 - Quietness (silence, kjv) -- Acts 22:2.
2. v. 11 - W/ all subjection (obedience, 1 Tim. 3:4).
B. The Woman Is Not Permitted To Teach Nor Have Dominion Over A Man -
1. Acts 4:18 & 16:21 - Same grammatical construction.
2. Usurp authority - One who acts of his own authority so as to govern or exercise dominion over another.
3. 1 Cor. 14:34-35 - Abstain from speech; Be in subjection as the law says (Gen. 3:16); Shameful to speak in the church.
4. Ways she may teach:
a. Other women - Titus 2:3-4.
b. Children - 2 Tim. 1:5. (Class w/ husband & wife? Man leads.)
c. In private - Acts 18:26.
d. Congregational singing - Eph. 5:19.
5. Ways she may not teach:
a. Any arrangement in which she takes the lead, exercises a position of rule over men.
b. Classes, pulpit, song leading, etc. where men are present.
c. Men are not authorized to "give" her such positions!
C. Reasons For This God-Defined Restriction - 2:13-14.
1. 2:13 - Order of creation.
2. 2:14 - Order of sins introduction into world (Eve deceived) - Gen. 3:16.
II. THE ORDER OF HEADSHIP - 1 Cor. 11:3.
A. Man Is Set In The Leadership Role (Head).
1. Head - metaph., supreme, chief, prominent (Thayer, 345) - Cf. Christ & His church - Eph. 5:23.
2. Headship implies leadership. Since man has been given the headship, it necessarily follows that man is the leader & woman the follower.
3. This will not outrage a godly woman - 1 Pet. 3:5-6.
III. THE SILENCE OF SCRIPTURES - 1 Cor. 4:6; Rev. 22:18-19.
A. Positive Prohibition Plus Restricting Silence!
-No NT basis for leadership roles in the local church. (cf. Heb. 7:11-12; 8:4)
IV. THE QUALIFICATIONS OF ELDERS & DEACONS PREVENTS WOMEN FROM
THESE ROLES - 1 Tim. 3:1, 2, 4-5, 6, 7, 12 (v. 11).
V. GOD-GIVEN EXAMPLE EXCLUDING WOMEN FROM LEADERSHIP ROLES IN THE
CHURCH - Acts 6:1-6.
A. No Authority Here For Decision Making By Women!
1. 6:1-4 - Problem / Apostles teach the whole church / The church accepts their teaching!
2. 6:5 - The church was directed to select 7 men, which they did without violating 1 Tim. 2:11-12 & 1 Cor. 14:34-35!
3. Exactly how they arrived at the 7 men is not spelled out! Didnt violate 1 Tim. 2 & 1 Cor. 14!
1. Woman can glorify her mission by humbly doing the work God has assigned her.
2. She must never usurp authority where none has been given to her by God! The godly woman will be careful to not do such a thing (1 Tim. 2:10-12).