Power Point Show MP3 audio Part 1 MP3 audio Part 2
Scripture Reading: Matthew 25:1-13
Why Are You Waiting?
1. Procrastination is a stumbling block to accomplishment. It undermines our view of who we are and what we can achieve (Prov. 23:7).
a. "the act or habit of...putting off or delaying, especially something requiring immediate attention" (dictionary.com).
b. "Procrastination: Ten Things to Know", (Psychology Today).
2. Jesus set our example of not waiting to do what is good, Jno. 9:4.
3. In fact, when it comes to doing the good things of God, to wait is sin, Jas. 4:17.
I. WHY DO PEOPLE WAIT TO OBEY THE GOSPEL?
A. Convenience, Acts 24:24-25.
B. Wrong Priorities and Lack of Sufficient Commitment, Lk. 9:59-62.
C. Think they will Always have Time Later, Matt. 25:1-13; Jas. 4:13-17.
D. Selfishness, Lk. 15:13.
II. WHY ARE YOU WAITING TO BE SAVED?
A. To Believe, to Confess Faith, to Repent and be Baptized? Acts 22:16
B. The Correct Response to the Gospel: Act Immediately, Acts 16:31-34.
III. WHY ARE YOU WAITING TO GROW IN YOUR PERSONAL FAITH? Heb. 5:12-6:3 (teach others, discernment to do good and shun evil)
A. Time Gives Us Opportunities to Grow; We Must Seize the Day.
-To pray more earnestly, learn more diligently and live more faithfully.
B. God Wants You to be Spiritually Mature, Eph. 4:14-15; 2 Pet. 3:18.
IV. WHY ARE YOU WAITING TO BE A BETTER SPOUSE? 1 Pet. 3:1-7
A. Wife: Be Respectfully Submissive to Your Husband as Your Head by Trusting God's Leadership, 3:1-6.
1. "Well, he just won't listen to the Bible!" Then, show him the Bible.
2. "He takes me for granted!" If so, you never take for granted your godly conduct (1-2) and spiritual adornment (3), and continue being gentle and quiet in spirit (4).
B. Husband: Be Respectful and Honor Your Wife by Leading her with Love, 3:7; Eph. 5:25, 28-29.
1. "It doesn't do any good; she is never satisfied!" God is satisfied (7).
2. "She doesn't show me any respect, why should I respect her!" Respect is earned, not dictated. (cf. Christ loving us when we don't show Him respect, Eph. 5:25) Matt. 7:12
V. WHY ARE YOU WAITING TO RENOUNCE SIN AND COME TO GOD FOR MERCY?
A. Must You "Bounce on the Bottom" before Coming to Yourself? Lk. 15:14-21
1. Must you experience the emptiness, deceit, pain and loneliness of sin before you will turn to God? (Heb. 11:25)
2. Procrastination allows your heart to harden against God and His word and will not bring you closer to God - just the opposite.
3. God wants to spare you the pain, heartache, trauma and spiritual death of sin, 2 Pet. 3:9.
1. While we have time (today) we will exhort one another to act now and avoid the delaying tactics of sin, Heb. 3:13, 7-8.
2. Now is the accepted time and day of salvation, 2 Cor. 6:1-2.
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: December 17, 2015