Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Luke 5:1-6
Why Obedience Pleases God
1. Obedience is often viewed negatively, as if obedience…
a. Implies force (threat) is being applied to bring about obedience, or
b. By obeying a person can trust himself and demand salvation (earning), or
c. One is saved merely by actions (without the heart).
2. In fact, the opposite is true: Obedience that pleases God is generated from a heart of trust (faith), devotion, and love, Acts 10:34-35, 48.
3. Obedience is voluntary, humble, willingly submissive to God.
4. Obedience without heart is not acceptable at all! Amos 5:21-27
5. Why does our obedience to God express our love for God? Jno. 14:15
I. BECAUSE OBEDIENCE SHOWS WE RESPECT GOD’S LOVE, 1 Jno. 5:3.
A. This Principle is Taught and Learned in the Family, Eph. 6:1-2.
1. Listen to (obedience implied) and do not disrespect parents, Prov. 23:22 (19:26; 30:17).
2. Respectful obedience the practical expression of love (goodwill).
B. Respect for God Demands our Obedience, Deut. 11:18-23.
1. Respect is shown by actions, not merely words, Matt. 7:21; Lk. 6:46.
2. Obedience reflects the place of honor God has in our hearts; cf. 1 Pet. 3:15.
C. Obeying God Shows the World that We Love God, cf. Jno. 14:31.
1. Our obedience is our example to the world.
2. Give the world a lesson on the love of obedience. This is the example we are to set for the world, 1 Pet. 2:11-12.
II. BECAUSE OBEDIENCE SHOWS WE TRUST GOD’S GRACE, Eph. 6:24.
A. God’s Grace Teaches Us Obedient Living, Tit. 2:11-14.
1. Divine favor (grace) in our lives compels a corresponding response that denies (rejects, disavows, and refuses) ungodliness (lack of piety) and worldly lusts while producing good fruit.
2. Grace affects how we live (manner of life). We must live…
a. Soberly: “suggests the exercise of that self-restraint that governs all passions and desires, enabling the believer to be conformed to the mind of Christ” (Vine).
b. Righteously: “just,” without prejudice or partiality (Vine).
c. Godly: “pious, devout” (Vine).
B. Obedience Shows We Trust in the Blessings of God’s Grace.
1. Obedience is our faith at work (Jas. 2:17), showing we trust and rely on God’s grace (knowing we do not earn our salvation), Rom. 5:1-2; Eph. 2:8-10.
-Ex. Blessings of answered prayer and fellowship, 1 Jno. 3:18-24.
2. We depend on God’s grace, knowing that by obedient faith the blessings of grace are ours now and eternally.
III. BECAUSE OBEDIENCE SHOWS WE HAVE FAITH IN GOD.
A. Obedience Trusts God’s Way is Right, Heb. 11:8-10.
1. Abraham didn’t know where he was going, but he obeyed in faith because he trusted God and was His servant.
2. To live a life for an unseen land is the essence of dependence on God and trust in Him. (Heb. 11:13-16)
3. When we obey God we are walking by faith as a servant who trusts Him instead of our instincts, experiences, and wisdom, 2 Cor. 5:6-8 (Lk. 5:4-6).
B. Obedience Makes Sacrifices that Please God, Heb. 11:17-19.
1. Obedience says, “God will work it out” (Rom. 8:28).
2. Obedience says, “I will suffer the loss of everything in order to gain Christ" (Phil. 3:7-9).
C. Obedience Submits as a Servant to the Will of the Master, Lk. 17:10.
1. Obey Christ and show you respect Him and rely on His grace for salvation. Be a humble servant of God who has faith in His Master and keeps His commands.
2. Christ saves those who obey Him like He obeyed the Father, Heb. 5:8-9.
By: Joe R. Price
Posted February 1, 2021