Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: John 1:9-13
Why Jesus Came
1. Why did Jesus come to earth? This question presupposes:
a. He existed before his birth, cf. Jno. 8:58.
b. There were divine purposes attached to his life on earth, Jno. 17:4.
c. The purposes He fulfilled affect us and all mankind, Jno. 12:48-50.
2. Consider some of the NT answers for why Jesus came to the earth.
I. JESUS CAME TO EARTH...
A. To Proclaim Good News, Lk. 4:16-21.
1. The weight and bondage of sin was always present, Rom. 3:23; Heb. 10:3-4.
2. Jesus (the Word) preached freedom from sinís oppression, Jno. 8:31-36.
B. To Fulfill the Law of Moses, Matt. 5:17-18; Rom. 10:5.
1. He fulfilled its laws and its prophecies.
2. He fulfilled the aim of the law, Rom. 10:5.
-To bring sinners to justification by faith, Gal. 3:22-25.
C. To Bring Light to Mankind, Jno. 1:1-13. (Isa. 9:2; Matt. 4:12-16)
1. Men loved darkness because their deeds were evil, Jno. 3:19-20.
2. Doers of the truth come to the light, Jno. 3:21.
3. Jesus exhorted people to believe in and walk in the light, Jno. 8:12; 12:34-36.
D. To Serve, Mk. 10:45.
1. The Father, Heb. 10:7; Jno. 6:38.
2. The lost, cf. Jno. 10:17-18.
E. To Seek and Save the Lost, Lk. 19:10.
1. Sent by the Father to save the world, Jno. 3:17.
2. A Savior for all people, Lk. 2:10-11, 14.
F. To be the Sacrifice for Sin, Heb. 10:5-10; Phil. 2:8.
1. Despised and rejected, Lk. 17:25; Isa. 53:3-6.
2. Now honored for His sacrifice, Isa. 53:10-12; Phil. 2:9-11.
G. To be a King and Testify to the Truth, Jno. 18:36-37; Isa. 55:3-4.
1. Fulfilled, Acts 13:32-34; Psa. 2:6-7.
2. Godís King (His Son, Christ Jesus) is reigning today.
H. Glorify His Father, Jno. 17:1-5.
1. Jesus finished His work on earth, 17:4.
2. He has the power to give eternal life, 17:2-3.
1. It is a sad fact that many people do not believe Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, Jno. 12:37-41.
2. Yet, as many as will receive Him have the right to become children of God, Jno. 1:10-13.
3. Believe and obey Jesus and become a child of God.
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: December 21, 2012