Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Luke 6:35-38
Should You Not Also Forgive?
1. Forgive (aphiemi): primarily, “to send forth, send away” (apo, “from,” hiemi, “to send”). Debts (Matt. 18:32); Sins (Matt. 9:2)
2. Concerning sins, “firstly signifies the remission of the punishment due to sinful conduct, the deliverance of the sinner from the penalty divinely, and therefore righteously, imposed; secondly, it involves the complete removal of the cause of offense” (Vine).
3. God’s forgiveness is freely offered and obtained through obedient faith (Acts 2:37-38; 8:22; 1 Jno. 1:9).
4. Christians forgive others…
I. TO BE FORGIVEN, Lk. 6:37.
A. Our Forgiveness is Conditioned Upon Forgiving Others, Matt. 6:12, 14-15; 18:21-35; Lk. 17:3-4.
II. BECAUSE GOD COMMANDS US TO FORGIVE, Col. 3:12-13.
A. We Must Have an Abiding Faith in and Submission to God in Order to Forgive.
1. Willingness to forgive comes from a submissive spirit toward God.
2. Without it, our heart hardens toward those who sin against us, becoming unyielding and unmerciful, resulting in malice and bitterness.
B. As God Forgives (completely, immediately, with finality), Eph. 4:32; Col. 2:13 (Psa. 103:3).
1. Always (without limit), Matt. 18:21-22.
2. From the heart, Matt. 18:35; Col. 3:12-14 (1 Cor. 13:4-7).
a. Compassion, mercy, grace, and love, Psa. 86:5.
b. Otherwise, we are not like God (ready, eager, and willing to forgive), cf. Eph. 4:31; Col. 3:13.
III. BECAUSE FORGIVING OTHERS BRINGS BLESSINGS, Lk. 6:36-38.
A. Spiritual Blessings from Thinking and Acting Like God, Acts 20:35.
1. Compassion, Matt. 18:32-35. Have compassion (33) ~ Forgive (35)
2. Purifies our heart toward others, Eph. 4:31-32.
3. Mercy, Jas. 2:13; Lk. 6:36-37.
1. Yes, we must have hearts of mercy and compassion that are ready to forgive even when sinners do not repent, Eph. 4:32 (Rom. 10:21).
-Jesus (Lk. 23:34); Stephen (Acts 7:60); Paul (2 Tim. 4:16)
2. If we will not forgive those who sin against us, then we will not be forgiven our sins – we will be lost, Mk. 11:25-26.
By: Joe R. Price
Posted December 17, 2020