Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Psalm 89:11-18
Why I Am A Christian
1. I suspect very few people reject God and reject being a Christian due to a thorough, systematic review of the philosophical arguments for and against God.
a. Often we find that people reject and resist being a Christian as a reaction to some event in their lives or those dear to them. They have suffered, or those they love have suffered, or they see worldwide suffering as an ethic argument against God.
b. They refuse the evidence for God and reject him, Rom. 1:19-22, 25, 28.
c. These view religion with contempt because of the abuses many religions have foisted upon men in the name of God. “I regard it (religion, jrp) as a disease born of fear and as a source of untold misery to the human race.” (Bertrand Russell, “Has Religion made Useful Contributions to Civilization?”, Why I Am Not a Christian, 24). Yet, there is a “pure religion” that does not do so, Jas. 1:27.
2. This lesson answers why I am a Christian, 1 Pet. 3:15.
I. BECAUSE I AM IN AWE OF GOD’S POWER AND BLESSINGS, Psa. 8:3; 33:6-9.
A. The Evidence Set before Our Eyes Compels Me to Believe, Rom. 1:19-21. (First Cause and Source of life, intelligence and moral conscience)
B. Faith in God is Built on the Evidence He has Given Us, Heb. 11:3; Acts 14:13-17. This is why we worship Him, Psa. 111:1-2.
II. BECAUSE I WANT TO LIVE A THANKFUL LIFE, Rom. 1:21; Psa. 8:1-2 (Matt. 21:14-16).
A. A Thankful, Happy Life is Much Preferred Over the Fatalism of Atheism.
1. Being thankful to God helps me be thankful to others, 1 Chrn. 16:7-13, 28-36.
a. Thankful for God’s goodness and mercy, Psa. 106:1.
b. Give thanks when you remember God’s holiness, Psa. 30:4-5.
2. Unthankful people are unpleasant and miserable! 2 Tim. 3:1-5
3. I choose to be thankful in everything, 1 Ths. 5:18.
III. BECAUSE I DO NOT WANT TO LIVE IN DARKNESS.
A. Jesus is the Light of the World, Jno. 8:12; 1:4-5.
1. Darkness is dangerous and full of doubt.
2. Where God is there is light, Psa. 89:15 (1 Jno. 1:5).
3. By walking in His truth my way is clear and blessed, Psa. 119:105; 1 Jno. 1:6-7.
B. I Choose to be a Son of Light, 1 Ths. 5:4-8.
1. Make choices in life that show the moral purity of Christ.
2. The gospel makes me a better person – transformed in mind and conformed to the image of Christ, Rom. 12:2; 8:29.
IV. BECAUSE THERE IS SIN AND SUFFERING IN THE WORLD.
A. The Gospel of Christ Answers the Problem of Suffering, Heb. 2:17-18; 4:14-16.
B. People Suffer because Sin is in the World.
1. Physical suffering and death, Gen. 3:17-19.
2. Spiritual suffering and death because we choose sin, Rom. 5:12.
3. Sometimes the suffering is from one’s own sin, Gal. 6:7.
4. Sometimes the suffering is simply the reality of a sin-cursed world, Jno. 9:1-3 (Eccl. 9:11-12).
5. Jesus gives rest, Matt. 11:28-30.
C. I Can See Beyond Present Suffering to Eternal Glory, 2 Cor. 4:16-18. (2 Cor. 5:7)
1. I have hope because I believe, Heb. 11:1; 6:17-20.
2. God supplies the remedy for sin, Acts 4:12 (Matt. 20:28).
V. BECAUSE I HAVE A CHOICE AND I CHOOSE WHAT IS GOOD.
A. Freedom to Choose between Good and Evil, Isa. 55:6-7; Josh. 24:15.
1. This brings responsibility and accountability to my life, Gen. 2:16-17; Josh. 24:20-24; Lk. 12:48.
2. Christians choose what cannot be taken away, Lk. 10:41-42.
VI. BECAUSE I BELIEVE I CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE.
A. Salt of the Earth and Light of the World, Matt. 5:13-16.
1. Influence others for what is good.
2. The reach of a Christian’s life cannot be measured in years, but by eternity!
VII. BECAUSE I AM GOING TO DIE, Jas. 4:13-17.
A. I Do Not Want to Die Alone, Without Hope, 2 Tim. 4:6-8, 18.
1. For the Christian, death is eternal gain, Phil. 1:21, 23.
2. We die in hope of resurrection to life, 1 Cor. 15:58.
1. You may have other reasons for being a Christian, but salvation is only in Jesus, Acts 4:12.
2. Question remains: Why aren’t you a Christian?
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: May 15, 2014