Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: 1 John 4:7-11
Why We Must Love God
1. Love is the greatest virtue, yet we often have a hard time defining it, understanding it, appreciating it, and showing it, 1 Cor. 13:13.
2. Part 1: Focus on why we must love God. Part 2: How we must love God.
I. WHY WE MUST INCLUDE GOD IN KNOWING AND SHOWING LOVE.
A. Because God is Love, 1 John 4:8 (cf. God is light, 1 John 1:5).
-Any definition, motive, and attitude claiming to be love (agape) that leaves God out of the equation is incomplete and powerless to bless our lives and those we profess to love, 1 Cor. 13:1-3.
B. Because Love is of God, 1 John 4:7-8.
1. God showed His love for us. Rom. 5:8.
a. Love is demonstrable, cf. 1 John 3:17-18.
b. Love is giving, sacrificial, John 3:16.
c. Love is generous, extraordinary, 1 John 3:1; 1 Cor. 13:4-8.
2. God’s love is our pattern to love others, 1 John 4:11; Eph. 5:1-2.
II. WHY WE MUST LOVE GOD. Because…
A. God Created Us, Ps. 139:13-16.
B. God Sustains Our Lives,
C. God Loved Us First, 1 John 4:19 (His enemy, unloving).
D. God Sent His Son to Die to Give Us Life, 1 John 4:9-10 (3:16).
E. God Saves Us in Christ,
F. God Gives Us Ways to Escape Temptations to Sin, 1 Cor. 10:13.
G. God has Prepared Eternal Life for Those Who Love Him, 2 Tim. 4:8; James 1:12.
1. How many reasons do we need before we will love God?
2. Stubborn, hard heart will never have enough reasons, Acts 7:51.
3. To open, responsive hearts, the love of God in Christ is enough, Rom. 8:38-39.
4. Part 2: How We Must Love God.
By: Joe R. Price
Posted February 17, 2022