Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: John 14:1-6
Where I Am, There You May Be Also
1. Do you want to be where Jesus is? Phil. 1:21-24
2. To accomplish this, we must also “be where Jesus is” as we live our lives, Jno. 14:1-6.
a. Peace in absolute trust, 14:1 (2 Cor. 5:7-8).
b. His word and work provide the basis for our faith, 14:2-3:
i) Many mansions (adequacy), 14:2a.
ii) Jesus said so (reliability), 14:2b.
iii) Christ’s redemptive work (accomplished), 14:2c.
c. Promised participation (reward), 14:3.
d. “Where I go you know, and the way you know....I am the way, the truth and the life...”, 14:4-6 (cf. Acts 4:12)
3. Jesus wants us to be with Him eternally. He also wants us to be “with Him” at all times, occasions and situations every day, Col. 3:1-4.
4. To be “where Christ is”...
I. WE MUST BE IN “THE WAY” WITH CHRIST.
A. Christ is Our Path from Earth to Heaven, Heb. 7:25.
1. Practical effects include, Heb. 10:19-25.
a. True hearts in fullness of faith, 10:22.
b. Hold fast our confession to end, 10:23.
c. Consider one another to provoke to love and good works..., 10:24.
d. Assembling and exhorting continually, 10:25.
e. This is living in “the way” of Christ.
2. His path is straitened (pressing, narrowly defined), Matt. 7:14.
3. Labor fervently to enter, Lk. 13:24.
B. Christ (the Way) is Our Authority in all things as we Travel from Earth to Heaven, Jno. 14:6; Matt. 17:5; 28:18; Col. 3:17.
1. The way of Christ must be our course of travel throughout life:
-Daily living, Gal. 2:20, Personal relationships (family, brethren, world, Jno. 13:34), Morality, Tit. 2:11-13, Local church work, Eph. 4:3.
2. Our respect for Christ’s authorized way is shown by being willing to apply His will to all areas of life.
II. WE MUST BE IN “THE TRUTH” OF CHRIST.
A. Christ has Shown Himself to be the “Way” by Means of His Revealed Truth (Word), Jno. 1:1-3, 14.
1. Truth has come to us to bear fruit in our lives (faith, love, hope, grace of God), Col. 1:3-6.
2. Truth: Enlightens, Psa. 119:105; Frees, Jno. 8:32; Builds up, Acts 20:32.
B. We Can Trust that Christ’s Word is Right for our Lives, 14:2b.
1. Learn it to produce and strengthen faith, Rom. 10:17.
2. Obey it without reservation, 1 Pet. 1:22-23.
3. Continue in it for blessing, Jas. 1:25.
4. Divine authority for our lives is essential, not optional.
5. The truth must be in us for us to be where Christ is, 1 Jno. 1:7-10; 2:3-5; 2 Jno. 1-2.
III. WE MUST BE IN “THE LIFE” OF CHRIST.
A. Christ (the Way and the Truth) Gives Sinners Life from the Death of Sin.
1. Linkage with His word (truth), Jno. 6:63; 1:4; 8:12; 1 Jno.1:1-4.
2. As man walks in the light of truth, has spiritual life through Christ, (Eph. 2:1-10).
B. “Life in Christ” must Impact every Part of Our Life, Rom. 6:1-11.
1. How to get into Christ (life), 6:3; and how to live in this life, 6:4, 6-7.
2. We are both dead (to sin) and alive (to Christ) – Walk accordingly.
3. Lay hold of eternal life by faithful, practical living for Christ, 1 Tim. 6:17-19.
1. To be where Jesus is (heaven) we must live with Jesus now.
2. If you love Jesus as the way, the truth and the life, then keep His commandments in every area of your life, Jno. 14:15.
3. Peace, assurance and hope will be yours.
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: July 18, 2014