WE SHOW OUR FAITH BY WHERE WE GO
1. Bumper sticker: "Believe in God & He will take care of the details." Not an accurate portrait of saving faith (Jas. 2:14-18).
2. Christians walk by faith - 2 Cor. 5:17.
3. Our aim is to be circumspect wherever we go - Eph. 5:15.
I. WE SHOW OUR FAITH BY WHERE WE GO & WHY WE GO THERE:
A. We Go To Christ:
1. For salvation / rest from sin - Matt. 11:28-30 (Jno. 6:44-45); Acts 4:12.
2. For security He gives His sheep - Jno. 10:25-29; 2 Tim. 1:12.
3. For guidance - Jno. 8:12; 1:4-5.
B. We Go To His Word of Truth.
1. For the path of righteousness in the dark world of sin - Psa. 119:105.
a. Jesus is the light of the world via His truth - Jno. 8:12; 1 Jno. 1:7.
b. To be true disciples - Jno. 8:31-32; Lk. 6:46.
2. For doctrinal correctness - Gal. 1:6-12; 2 Tim. 3:16-17; 2 Pet. 1:3.
3. For moral purity - Rom. 12:1-2; Phil. 4:8.
C. We Go Before God To Worship Him - Jno. 3:23-24.
1. To honor the God of glory - Eph. 3:14-21.
2. To encourage each other - 1 Cor. 14:26; Eph. 4:11-16.
3. To grow in our personal faith - Acts 2:42; 20:7.
D. We Go To The Spiritual Battles of Faith - 1 Tim. 6:12.
1. We see the spiritual war raging around us - 2 Cor. 10:3-4.
a. Satan - 1 Pet. 5:8; Eph. 6:10-17.
b. World - Jas. 4:1-4.
c. False brethren - Gal. 2:4-5; Phil. 1:17; Jude 3.
2. We fight these battles with spiritual weapons - 2 Cor. 10:4-5.
a. Offensively: The moral persuasion of truth - Heb. 4:12.
b. Defensively: The protection from the armor of God - Eph. 6:10-17
3. We go to these battles to lay hold on eternal life - 1 Tim. 6:12; 2 Tim. 4:7-8.
II. WE SHOW OUR FAITH BY WHERE WE DO NOT GO & WHY WE AVOID THEM
- Psa. 1:1.
A. We Do Not Go To The Wisdom of Men For Our Moral & Spiritual Guidance ("the counsel of the ungodly") - 1 Cor. 1:18-24; Col. 2:8.
1. Their wisdom does not take into account God & is therefore foolish & inept - Rom. 1:20-23; cf. Jas. 4:13-16.
2. Their wisdom relies upon man's experiences & knowledge, which is foolishness to God - 1 Cor. 1:25; cf. Job 38:1-3; 42:1-6.
3. Applications: How to be saved, Religious innovations, no moral absolutes, no God, no sin, no hell.
B. We Do Not Go To The Conduct Of The Worldly To Find Purpose & Meaning In Life ("the path of sinners") - cf. Prov. 1:10-19; 1 Cor. 15:33-34.
1. Applications: The conduct of the world (1 Jno. 2:15-16): Entertainment, sensual pleasures, works of the flesh (Gal. 5:19-21); etc.
2. Our goal: Eccl. 12:13; Jas. 4:16-17.
C. We Do Not Go To The Judgment Of The Wicked For Establishing What Is Right ("the seat of the scornful") - cf. Psa. 26:5.
1. The world calls evil good, and good evil - Isa. 5:20; Prov. 17:15.
a. Cf. Homosexuality; adulterous remarriages; pornographic entertainment.
b. Religious diversity (unity in diversity) - cf. Jno. 17:20-21.
2. The compromiser call the Christian "narrow, judgmental, legalistic & Pharisaical" for closely following the word of God in all things - cf. Amos 7:10-17; Matt. 5:10-12; 1 Pet. 3:13-17 (cf. Paul - Acts 22:22).
3. "Let God be true but every man a liar" - Rom. 3:4.
1. Heaven is the Christian's place of residence, our hope, our inheritance & our reward - Phil. 3:20-21; Rom. 8:24-25; 1 Pet. 1:3-5; Matt. 25:21.
2. Above all else, Christians want & expect to go to heaven because we "walk by faith!"
3. 1 Cor. 16:13: Stand fast in the faith:
a. Do not go anywhere that leads you away from Christ & your heavenly home!
b. Go everywhere the Lord leads you in His word of truth!
4. The Lord will safely lead you home!