Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: John 14:1-6
Where Christ Is
1. Do you want to be where Jesus is? Phil. 1:21-24
2. To accomplish this, we must also “be where Jesus is” as we live our lives, Jno. 14:1-6.
a. Peace is found in absolute trust, 14:1 (2 Cor. 5:7-8).
b. His word and work the basis for our faith (14:2-3):
i) Many mansions (adequacy), 14:2a.
ii) Jesus said so (reliability), 14:2b.
iii) Christ’s redemptive work (accomplished), 14:2c.
c. Promised participation (reward), 14:3.
d. “Where I go you know, and the way you know...I am the way, the truth and the life...” 14:4-6 (cf. Acts 4:12)
3. Jesus wants us to be in heaven with Him. He also wants us to be “with Him” at all times/occasions/situations in this life. Col. 3:1-4
--To be “where Christ is:”--
I. WE MUST BE IN “THE WAY” WITH CHRIST.
A. Christ is our Path to Follow from Earth to Heaven, Heb. 7:25.
1. Practical effects include (Heb. 10:19-25):
a. True hearts in fullness of faith, 10:22.
b. Hold fast our confession to end, 10:23.
c. Consider one another to provoke to love and good works, 10:24.
d. Assembling and exhorting continually, 10:25.
e. This is living in “the way” of Christ.
2. His path is difficult (pressing and narrowly defined), Matt. 7:14.
3. Labor fervently to enter, Lk. 13:24.
B. Christ (The Way) is our Authority in all things as we Travel from Earth to Heaven, Jno. 14:6; Matt. 17:5; 28:18; Col. 3:17.
1. The Way of Christ must be the course we travel in every area of our lives:
-Daily living (Gal. 2:20) / Personal relationships (family, brethren, world, Jno. 13:34) / Morality (Tit. 2:11-13) / Local church work (Eph. 4:3).
2. Our respect for Christ’s authorized way is shown by our willingness to actually apply His will to every area of life (obey Him).
II. WE MUST BE IN “THE TRUTH” OF CHRIST.
A. Christ has Shown Himself to be the "Way” by Means of His Revealed Truth (Word), Jno. 1:1-3, 14.
1. Truth has come to us to bear fruit in our lives (faith, love, hope, grace of God), Col. 1:3-6.
2. Truth: Enlightens (Psa. 119:105); frees (Jno. 8:32); builds up (Acts 20:32).
B. We Can Rely that Christ’s Word is Right for our Lives, cf. 14:2b.
1. Learn it to produce and strengthen faith (Rom. 10:17).
2. Obey it without reservation, 1 Pet. 1:22-23.
3. Continue in it for blessing, Jas. 1:25.
4. Divine authority for our lives is essential, not optional.
5. The truth must be in us for us to be where Christ is, 1 Jno. 1:7-10; 2 Jno. 1-2.
III. WE MUST BE IN “THE LIFE” OF CHRIST.
A. Christ (the "Way” and the "Truth”) Gives Sinners Life from the Death of Sin.
1. Linkage w/ His word (truth) - Jno. 6:63; Jno. 1:4; 8:12; 1 Jno. 1:1-4.
2. As man walks in the light of truth, has spiritual life through Christ! (Eph. 2:1-10)
B. “Life in Christ” Impacts Every Part of our Lives, Rom. 6:1-11.
1. How to get into Christ (life), 6:3; And how to live in this life, 6:4, 6-7.
2. We are both dead and alive (dead to sin and alive to Christ).
-Live in harmony with this reality.
3. Lay hold of eternal life by practical living for Christ, 1 Tim. 6:17-19.
1. To be where Jesus is (heaven), we must live with Jesus now!
2. If you love Jesus as the way, the truth and the life - Keep His commandments in every area of your life. Jno. 14:15