Part 1: Power Point Show MP3 audio
Part 2: Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: James 4:13-17
"What is Your Life?"
1. It usually takes a tragedy or death to get most people to think seriously about life and death, Eccl. 7:2-4.
2. We are immortal, made in God’s image, Gen. 1:26-27; 2:7 (Eccl. 12:7).
a. We must live for more than this physical life.
b. The way we live our mortal lives affects our immortality, Gal. 6:7-9.
3. Contrast mortal (temporary) life with immortality (never-ending):
Psa. 90:10-12; 89:47; 78:39; 2 Cor. 4:16-5:1
4. What we value most defines our treasure and where we store it. What we treasure defines us and shapes our eternity, Matt. 6:19-21; 16:26.
5. How we view life and death shapes who we are, James 4:13-17.
I. WHAT IS YOUR LIFE? (Jas. 4:14)
A. Your Life on Earth is a Gift from God, Isa. 42:5 (Acts 17:25).
B. Your Life on Earth is a Vapor, Jas. 4:14.
1. I need to “know my end” (v. 4), since life (getting to the end) is brief and uncertain, Psa. 39:4-6.
2. We are “frail” (v. 4) – Not nearly as strong as we think we are!
C. We Show What We Think of Life by How and for What We Live:
1. For some, life is all about the money and the moment, Lk. 12:13-21. They look at the here and now: Vanity, Eccl. 1:2, 8.
2. For some, life is all about heaven and eternity, Heb. 11:13-16; 12:1-2. They trust God’s promises and live for heaven: Faith.
D. When We Try to Live for Both Earth and Heaven, We Insure Our Failure, Matt. 6:24 (16:26).
(Scripture Reading: 2 Corinthians 4:16-5:1)
II. WHAT ARE YOUR PLANS FOR LIFE? Jas. 4:13-14
A. We Should Plan to Depend on God and Not on Ourselves, 4:13.
-Because we do not know tomorrow, and because God knows the end from the beginning, Prov. 27:1; Isa. 42:9; 46:10.
B. We Should Plan to Use Our Physical Life to Advance Spiritual Life, and Execute the Plan, Rom. 6:12-14; Phil. 1:19-22.
1. Use your health to advance godliness, 1 Tim. 4:7-8.
2. Use wealth to do good works generously, 1 Tim. 6:17.
3. Use your time as opportunities to serve God, Eph. 5:15-16.
III. HOW ARE YOU ACHIEVING YOUR PLANS FOR YOUR LIFE?
A. Seek and Do the Lord’s Will in Every Endeavor, 4:15 (Col. 3:17). (Business, education, relationships, etc.)
1. Starts by loving God with all your life, Matt. 22:37-38.
2. Continues by loving your neighbor as yourself, Matt. 22:39-40.
3. See the contrast that brings heartache / destruction, Jas. 4:1-3.
B. Humility of Heart and Conduct in Everything, 4:16.
1. Warning against pride in our own self-confidence:
a. Wisdom and knowledge, 1 Cor. 3:18; 8:2. (Acts 17:11)
b. Ability and power, Jno. 19:10-11 (Power belongs to Jesus, Matt. 28:18).
C. Do the Good Things We Know God Approves, 4:17; Micah 6:8 (Eph. 2:10; 2 Tim. 3:16-17). Moral, righteous (Tit. 2:12).
1. Do justly: Just treatment of others, justice, honesty and fairness (Matt. 7:12).
2. Love mercy: Kindness (beauty) toward others, Hosea 6:6.
3. Walk humbly with God: Reverent obedience, Deut. 10:12-13.
1. Love life, good days that prepare us for eternity, 1 Pet. 3:10-12.
2. This is what life is all about! Eccl. 12:13-14
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: October 31, 2018