Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: 1 John 5:18-21
1. John boldly assures Christians that they know the truth, 1 Jno. 2:20-21 (cf. Jno. 8:32).
a. "Truth is not relative; it is self-sufficient, complete and free of imperfection." (www.bibleanswer.com/absolutetruth1.htm)
b. Two contrasting views of knowing truth: Jno. 17:17; 18:38.
2. By contrast, even some brethren (much less the world) have a hard time saying we can know the revealed truth with certainty:
a. "Gray areas", unity in diversity, etc.
b. Moral relativism (see "Why Our Children Donít Think There Are Moral Facts", Justin P. McBrayer, March 1, 2015, http://nyti.ms/1DuYaqW).
I. WE KNOW FAITHFUL CHRISTIANS DO NOT PRACTICE SIN, 5:18.
A. Who? "Whoever is born of God", Jno. 1:11-13; 3:5; 1 Pet. 1:22-23.
-Are you a child of God? Have you been born of water and the Spirit?
B. John did not Say We Know Christians do not Sin, 1 Jno. 1:8-2:1.
1. The sinner practices/has the habit of/is ruled by sin, Eph. 2:1-3.
2. The Christian walks in the Spirit, Gal. 5:16, 18, 22-25.
C. We Know Children of God Practice Righteousness, 1 Jno. 3:3-10.
1. No longer ruled by sin, Rom. 6:1-2; 10-14.
2. We know what sin does, now and eternally, Rom. 6:23; Eph. 5:5.
3. We discipline ourselves with God's word, 1 Cor. 9:24-27.
II. WE KNOW FAITHFUL CHRISTIANS ARE OF GOD, 5:19.
A. Christians are Born of God, 1 Jno. 3:1-2; Gal. 4:4-7.
B. Faithful Christians Refuse to Turn Back from Truth, 1 Jno. 2:19-21, 22-23; 24-27 - Anointed with truth (sanctified, consecrated).
1. They do not turn back to the world of sin, Gal. 4:8-9.
2. They love the Lord more than life itself, Rev. 12:10-11.
III. WE KNOW THE SON OF GOD HAS COME AND GIVEN US AN UNDERSTANDING, 5:20; cf. Jno. 1:17-18.
A. That We May Know Him, cf. 1 Jno. 2:3-5.
1. By obedience we know we know Christ and are "in Him".
2. Without understanding His will, "keeping His commandments" would be beyond our ability (2:3).
B. By Considering the Apostles' Teachings we Know Him, 2 Tim. 2:7.
1. Exercise your mind and the Lord will give you understanding, Eph. 5:17; 2 Tim. 2:15.
2. Be filled with a knowledge of His will in order to live properly, Col. 1:9-10; 2:2.
-Examples: Husband (1 Pet. 3:7); Wife (1 Pet. 3:1-6), Child, Citizen...
C. Those with Understanding Live Wisely, Jas. 3:13.
1. Understanding coupled with practice = skill and expertise to live wisely.
2. Understand will of Lord...Redeem the time, Eph. 5:15-17.
D. Understanding the Gospel Helps Us Value Our Spiritual Blessings, Eph. 1:17-19.
1. Our hope in the gospel (His calling), 1:18.
2. Riches and glory of His inheritance in the saints, 1:18.
3. Exceeding greatness of God's power toward Christians, 1:19.
4. Do not appreciate our blessings if we do not understand them (prayer, worship, Scriptures, fellowship, etc.)
IV. WE KNOW WE MUST KEEP OURSELVES FROM IDOLS, 5:21.
A. Flee Idolatry, 1 Cor. 10:14-15.
-Because idols are nothing (lifeless, powerless), 1 Cor. 8:4 (Isa. 41:24).
B. Love God with All Our Being, Matt. 22:37.
-Set up Christ as Lord in your heart, 1 Pet. 3:15.
C. Hate Even the Garment Defiled by the Flesh, Jude 1:23.
1. Be holy, 1 Pet. 1:14-16.
2. Live morally pure, 2 Cor. 6:16-7:1.
1. By this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments. He who says, "I know Him," and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But whoever keeps His word, truly the love of God is perfected in him. By this we know that we are in Him. (1 Jno. 2:3-5)
2. You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free (Jno. 8:31).
3. Do not be ignorant (mindless), but understand the will of the Lord.
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: May 22, 2015