Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Colossians 1:9-12
Ways to Help Us Grow
1. Most Christians yearn to grow spiritually; to be stronger, to resist temptation more fervently, to walk with Christ more fully.
2. The devil is our constant adversary, diverting us, discouraging us, and diminishing our faith in the strength of the Lord, Eph. 6:10.
3. Here are some ways to help us grow.
I. DESIRE TO GROW, PRAY, AND LEARN TO GROW, Eph. 3:14-19; Col. 1:9-12; Phil. 1:9–11.
1. Follow up by acting on your prayers, Phil. 3:13-14.
2. Lay aside hindrances and sin, Heb. 12:1-2.
II. READ GOD’S WORD OFTEN, Heb. 4:12-13.
1. Put God’s word in your heart, Psa. 119:11; 37:30-31.
2. The Bible is our life manual, 2 Tim. 3:16-17.
III. CHOOSE GOOD FRIENDS.
1. Influence of friends is strong, 1 Cor. 15:33-34.
2. We learn from our companions, Prov. 22:24-25.
3. Spouse the most influential of all, 1 Kgs. 11:4 (1 Cor. 7:33).
IV. THINK THE RIGHT THINGS.
1. We are what we think, Prov. 23:7.
2. We do what we think, Phil. 4:8.
3. We strive for our goals (objectives), Col. 3:1-4.
V. EXAMINE CONSTANTLY.
1. Self-examination using the faith, 2 Cor. 13:5.
2. Should cause humble correction, not surface comparisons, Lk. 18:9-14; Gal. 6:3-4.
3. With the law of liberty as our mirror, we can see clearly to be “doers of the word,” Jas. 1:22-25.
VI. WORSHIP OFTEN.
1. Continue steadfastly in worship, Acts 2:42.
a. Praising God, teaching and admonishing, Col. 3:16.
b. Edification in assembled worship, 1 Cor. 14:3, 5, 12, 15-17, 26.
2. You cannot be strong (edified) by sporadic worship (1 out of 3 times a week), Heb. 10:24-25.
3. Eager to worship, Psa. 122:1-2; Acts 2:42.
1. Spiritual growth has wonderful benefits now, and in the world to come:
a. Fruitful disciple, John 15:1-8.
b. Abide in the love and joy of Christ, Jno. 15:9-11.
c. Protection against sin, and entrance into eternal kingdom, 2 Pet. 1:8-11.
2. May God help us to grow, as we commit ourselves to His ways of doing so.
(Adapted from lesson by John Gentry, “Five ways to help us grow”)
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: October 17, 2017