Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: 1 Corinthians 10:6-13
Our Ways of Escape
1. God promises to ďmake the way of escapeĒ for us to endure temptation, 1 Cor. 10:13.
2. The history of Israel shows a repeated failure to take the ways of escape God made for them, 1 Cor. 10:1-11.
3. In their examples we can see the ways of escape God makes for us, 1 Cor. 10:6, 11.
4. The question is: Will we take Godís ways of escape, or fall like Israel?
I. GOD SUSTAINED ISRAEL PHYSICALLY AND SPIRITUALLY, 1 Cor. 10:1-5.
A. With Godly Leadership, 10:1-2.
B. With Food and Drink of Supernatural Origin, 10:3-4; Psa. 78:20, 23, 25.
C. With Spiritual Sustenance of the Divine Presence, 10:4; Psa. 62:5-8.
1. Gave them a law, a land, and blessings, Neh. 9:13-15.
2. They acted presumptuously and rebelled, Neh. 9:16-17.
D. God was not Pleased with Most of Them, 1 Cor. 10:5.
-Their hard, rebellious hearts of unbelief produced disobedience, Heb. 3:15-19.
II. ISRAELíS SINS AND OUR WAYS OF ESCAPE.
A. The Sin of Lust, 1 Cor. 10:6; Num. 11:4-10.
1. Israel was not thankful or satisfied with Godís provision; Failed to be content and lusted after ďevil things.Ē
2. Way of escape from lust: Thankful contentment with Godís gifts.
a. Do not lust (covet), cf. Exo. 20:17 (14); Rom. 13:11-14.
b. More concentration on spiritual wealth than supposed deprivations. More focus on spiritual things, not fleshly.
B. The Sin of Idolatry, 1 Cor. 10:7; Exo. 32:1-7.
1. Israelís trusted in themselves and not in the unseen God who had spoken to them from the mountain.
2. Way of escape from idolatry: Flee it and remember God (increase your personal faith in the true God), 1 Cor. 10:14; Matt. 22:37; cf. Col. 3:5.
a. Do not have a short memory, 2 Pet. 1:9 (remember cleansing).
b. God has spoken to us in His Son; Trust and obey His word.
C. The Sin of Fornication, 1 Cor. 10:8; Num. 25:1-3, 6-12 (31:16; Rev. 2:14); Psa. 106:28-31.
1. Israel, driven by lust, defiled herself before God with idolatry and fornication.
2. Way of escape from fornication: Kill the flesh and flee (Num. 25:8); 1 Thess. 4:3-7; Col. 3:5; 1 Cor. 6:18; Matt. 5:27-30.
a. Respect the holy purpose of your body.
b. Remove every obstacle to holiness.
D. The Sin of Testing Christ, 1 Cor. 10:9; Num. 21:4-6 (cf. Psa. 78:18).
1. Israel criticized Godís will and His provisions (blasphemy).
2. Way of escape from testing Christ: Trust Godís ways and obey Him, Num. 21:8-9; Heb. 13:5-6.
E. The Sin of Murmuring, 1 Cor. 10:10; Num. 11:1; 14:1; 16:41.
1. Israel complained about their circumstance, their food, their leadership and their God.
2. The way of escape from complaining: Faith in Godís purposes, provisions, and His salvation, Psa. 78:21-25; Heb. 13:5-6.
1. Heed these warnings, 1 Cor. 10:12.
2. God is faithful; we can endure temptations successfully, to the glory of God.
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: September 01, 2016