Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Deuteronomy 30:19-20
The Walls Came Tumbling Down
1. Walls signify strength, protection, and security (cf. ancient cities, Num. 13:28; Deut. 3:5).
2. Tale of two cities and their walls: Jericho and Jerusalem.
a. Jericho: Israel’s first victory in Canaan.
b. Jerusalem: Zion / City of David / City of God.
3. Why did the wall of each city fall? The answers are a contrast between blessings and curses:
a. Jericho: God’s blessing of victory, Josh. 6:2, 16, 20.
b. Jerusalem: God’s curse against sin, Deut. 28:47-48, 52; 2 Chron. 36:15-21.
4. The church is Zion; her walls are “Salvation” (Heb. 12:22-23; Isa. 60:18; 62:6-7). Blessed or cursed? Deut. 30:19-20 (Heb. 12:28-29)
I. THE WALLS CAME TUMBLING DOWN.
A. Jericho: Because of Faith, Heb. 11:30.
1. Jericho a fortress against eastern invaders.
a. These nations greater and stronger than Israel, Deut. 7:1.
b. Trusted God to deliver Israel, Josh. 1:5.
2. Our faith will overcome the world, 1 Jno. 5:4.
a. Faith to face enemies of righteousness (fear, trials, error, immorality, etc.).
b. Trust God’s deliverance, Eph. 6:10-11.
B. Jerusalem: Because of Faithlessness, Jer. 5:10-13.
1. Unbelief was the reason for God’s wrath, Jer. 16:10-13.
a. Forsook God / Idols / Disobedient, 16:11.
b. Stubborn hearts didn’t listen to God (proud, self-reliant), 16:12.
c. A just punishment, 16:13.
2. Did not trust in God; Trusted in the walls they built, and were destroyed, Deut. 28:52; Lam. 4:11-12.
3. What are we trusting in and serving today: Materialism (1 Tim. 6:17)? Human teachings (Gal. 1:8)? Prestige (Rev. 3:1)? Self (Rev. 3:17)? The living God?
C. Jericho: Because of Obedience, Heb. 11:30 (10:39).
1. Responsive and submissive to God’s commands – Victorious faith. (Lk. 6:46; Matt. 7:21)
2. Israel trusted God enough to obey Him, so must we, Heb. 5:9.
D. Jerusalem: Because of Disobedience, Jer. 16:11-12; 6:15-17.
1. Idolatry turned them from God. Gave God lip service, but served/worshipped the idols (16:11), Isa. 29:13-14 (hypocrisy).
2. Even in exile their attitude toward God’s word was wrong, Ezek. 33:30-32.
3. We must hear God’s word and obey it; Not applaud it and then do as we please, Jas. 1:21-25 (2 Thess. 1:8).
E. Jericho: Because of Purity, Josh. 3:5; 5:8-9.
1. Set themselves apart from defilements of flesh and spirit; totally devoted to doing God’s will – Victory achieved.
a. Circumcision: Sign of God’s covenant with them.
b. Identified as God’s people; 5:9 – Reproach removed.
2. We must do likewise, 2 Cor. 6:17-7:1 (Rom. 6:22).
F. Jerusalem: Because of Defilement, Lam. 1:8-9.
1. Her sins separated her from God, brought wrath, Isa. 59:1-4.
2. When we defile ourselves with sin the enemy has breached God’s wall of protection (Ezek. 42:20; 44:23); 2 Pet. 2:20-22.
3. Perfect holiness in the fear of God (2 Cor. 7:1).
G. Jericho: Because of Self-denial, Josh. 6:3-4.
1. No small task for 600,000 soldiers to compass city daily (hot, dry, crowded, silent, etc.).
2. Could have said, “Ridiculous!” (cf. Naaman, 2 Kgs. 5:10-13)
-Willingly sacrificed personal feelings, ideas, and comfort.
3. Daily denial of self, Lk. 9:23.
H. Jerusalem: Because of Self-indulgence, Ezek. 7:19.
1. What they indulged themselves with would not satisfy or deliver them in the “day of the Lord’s wrath” (Zeph. 1:18).
2. The world and its sins cannot satisfy, 1 Jno. 2:15-17.
3. We need self-control, Jas. 4:1-4.
4. Self-indulgence brings wrath, Eph. 5:3-7 (The walls will fall!)
1. Like Israel, a blessing and a curse is set before us, Deut. 11:26-28. -Rom. 11:22-
a. Victory in Christ (faith, obedience, purity, and self-denial).
b. Wrath from God (faithless, disobedience, defilement, and self-indulgence).
2. God’s wall of safety rises up around His church (remnant of grace). Her walls are “Salvation” (Isa. 60:18).
3. Find safety in Christ; be saved now. Isaiah 26:1-4
By: Joe R. Price
Posted October 28, 2020