THE URGENCY OF CHRISTIANITY
1. Jesus lived an urgent life - Jno. 9:4-5.
2. Urgency of following Him is based upon:
a. What is gained - Heaven (Matt. 7:21).
b. What is escaped - Hell (Rom .6:23).
c. The uncertainty of life (Jas. 4:13-15).
3. The urgency of Christianity (our faithfulness as Christians) is seen in the use in the NT of the word "straightway" or "immediately."
I. IMMEDIATELY THEY FOLLOWED JESUS - Matt. 4:18-22.
A. We Must Be Eager To Follow Jesus.
1. When the controversy swirls (hard, controversial topics) - Jude 3.
2. When family objects - Matt. 10:37.
3. When hardships occur - Matt. 10:38.
4. Will we stand or limp? - 1 Kgs. 18:21.
B. We Must Be Assured That We Are Not Following Man, But The Son Of God - Lk. 5:5-8.
1. He has demonstrated His power - Jno. 20:30-31.
2. His word establishes truth - Lk. 5:5.
C. Eliminate Excuses For Not Following Jesus - Lk. 14:15-24.
1. Though invited, excuses offered show lack of proper value being placed upon the host & the occasion.
2. Excuses of necessity, valid concerns & arrogance are still offered which reject Christ & His blessings!
3. Excuses do not excuse failing to come to Jesus - 14:24 (Jas.4:17).
4. Why not now?! - Acts 16:30-34
II. SOME WILL IMMEDIATELY RECEIVE THE WORD & THEN IMMEDIATELY STUMBLE
- Mk. 4:16-17.
-(We all know of such occurrences & they distress us!)
A. Why Does This Happen?
1. Mk. 4:16-17 - No root in themselves.
a. Faith does not grow & strengthen.
b. Endure as long as faith is not tested.
c. When test of faith comes -- stumble.
2. What is the remedy?
B. Diligently Pursue Spiritual Growth - Heb. 6:1-3.
1. Build a mature faith - Col. 2:6-7.
2. Hear & obey word - Jas. 1:23-25.
3. 2 Pet. 1:5-10 - Diligent spiritual growth is an urgent need in order to prevent stumbling! (What is gained, escaped, uncertainty of life.)
III. IMMEDIATELY SATAN COMES - Mk. 4:15 (1 Pet. 5:8; 2 Cor. 2:11).
A. His Objective: Keep The Word Of God From Us - v. 15.
1. He knows its power - Rom. 1:16; 1 Cor. 1:18
2. He blinds minds to it - 2 Cor. 4:3-4.
B. Satan Never Rests - Job 1:6-7.
C. We Must Diligently (Immediately) Resist Him - Jas. 4:7-10.
1. Prov. 4:23 - Guard it with vigilance.
2. Prov. 3:7 - Fear God & depart from evil. (Matt. 10:28)
1. Acts 22:16 - "And now, why do you delay?" (NASV); "And now why are you waiting?" (NKJV)
2. In view of what is gained (heaven), what is escaped (hell) & the uncertainty of life - "Why Not Now?!"