Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Psalm 130:1-8
God’s “One-derful” Plan for Unity
1. Review Part 1: Psa. 133:1; Jno. 17:20-21; 1 Cor. 1:9-10.
2. Yet, unity seems elusive for many Christians and churches.
3. Eph. 4:1-3: Unity is possible and approved by the Lord when our conduct is worthy of the gospel, and our attitudes enable us to endeavor to guard the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.
4. God’s plan for unity combines attitudes, doctrines and conduct, Eph. 4:1-6.
I. GOD’S PLATFORM OF UNITY, Ephesians 4:4-6.
A. One Body: Unity of Relationship.
-The church: Every Christian has a relationship with the head (Christ) and with fellow members (Eph. 2:16; 3:6; 1 Cor. 12:12-13).
B. One Spirit: Unity of Life. (Jno. 3:5)
1. The Holy Spirit has revealed, inspired and confirmed "the word of truth, the gospel of (our) salvation" by which enjoy life from the death of sin, Eph. 1:13; 2:18; Rom. 8:1-2.
2. Failure to walk by the Spirit in the path of truth dooms any prospect for unity.
C. One Hope: Unity of Destiny.
1. We have a common inheritance in Christ, a heavenly home, Eph. 1:11; 1 Pet. 1:3-5.
2. As we walk by faith, there is no other hope that secures us and unites us, Heb. 6:18-19; Col. 1:5-6 (1 Tim. 1:1).
D. One Lord: Unity of Authority. (Matt. 28:18; 7:21)
1. Great damage is done to the unity of God's people whenever the authority of Christ is violated, 1 Cor. 1:10-13.
2. Humble submission to Christ’s will in our lives will guard our unity, and glorify God, Col. 3:17.
E. One Faith: Unity of Revelation.
1. The gospel of Christ, the "mystery" now revealed, Eph. 1:9; 3:1-7.
2. The revelation that saves our souls, Rom. 1:1-6, 16-17.
3. The revelation once for all delivered from God to man, Jude 3.
4. Without one faith, there is no true faith and therefore, no true unity, Rom. 10:17; Gal. 1:11, 23.
F. One Baptism: Unity of Forgiveness.
1. Water baptism (commanded by Jesus), when believed and obeyed by sinners, "saves us," Mk. 16:16; Acts 22:16; 1 Pet. 3:21.
2. Any other baptism, for any other purpose, is not "in the name of the Lord Jesus," and only generates division (Acts 19:3-6).
G. One God and Father of All: Unity of Worship.
1. One God demands a common worship from all, Jno. 4:23-24; 1 Cor. 8:4-6.
2. Our worship and our lives are arranged with reverence for God and His covenant over us, cf. Mal. 2:10; Heb. 13:20-21.
1. Unity comes from God, who is over all, through all and in us all.
2. The unity crafted by men flounders and fails, because its foundation is flesh, and its framework is worldly.
3. But, God’s unity is “one-derful” when we execute His plan with godly attitudes and faithful conduct (Eph. 4:1, 2-3, 4-6).
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: December 5, 2017