ARE YOU TRULY SAVED?
1. Some are deceived about their salvation - 1 Cor. 3:18 (Matt. 7:21-23).
2. Some are not deceived, but are not fully convinced or persuaded of their salvation (Illus. - some doubt the validity of their baptism).
3. Examine yourself to see if you are truly in the faith - 2 Cor. 13:5.
4. Does the NT judge that you have been "faithful to the Lord?" - Acts 16:15
I. DID YOU TRULY BELIEVE IN JESUS CHRIST? - Acts 18:24-28
A. Without Proper Knowledge Of Who Jesus Is & What He Has Done For You, You Do Not Yet Have Saving Faith - 18:25-26, 28.
1. Mk. 16:15-16 - Believe the gospel (Rom. 1:1-4).
2. Jno. 8:23-24, 58 - His deity (cf. 17:21 - Believe that Father sent Him).
3. Rom. 10:9-10 - His authority ("Lord"), death & resurrection.
B. If You Think You Became A Christian When You Were An Infant, You Did Not Truly Believe.
1. Incapable of faith - Rom. 10:17 (cf. Heb. 8:11).
2. Innocent before God - Matt. 18:3.
3. Infant baptism to remove "original sin", to make "preparatory Christian," etc. is human tradition & not genuine faith in Christ.
II. DID YOU TRULY REPENT? - Acts 19:18-20
A. Did You Separate Yourself From Sin & Its Influences? - Rom. 6:1-4; Rev. 9:20-21
1. Walk in newness of life, not sin -- Did you stop living in sin?
2. Acts 26:20 - These are the "works befitting repentance."
3. Did you believe you could continue in sin without it harming you?
B. Did You Make The Sacrifices Repentance Requires? - 19:19; Lk. 9:23; Matt. 6:33; Gal. 2:20 - (Deny self, put Christ first, live by faith)
III. WERE YOU TRULY BAPTIZED? - Acts 19:1-5
A. Were You Baptized Possessing The Right Faith? - 19:2, 4
1. Proper faith is prerequisite to proper baptism - Mk. 16:16; Acts 2:41.
a. John's baptism: Repentance in anticipation of Christ - 19:4 (Mk. 1:4-8).
b. Jesus' baptism: Faith He is the Son of God (Mk. 16:16).
2. When these men didn't know what they should know, they were taught (brought to faith) & then properly baptized! - 19:5
3. It may be there is someone here who was not properly taught faith in Christ. If so -- come to true faith & be properly baptized into Christ!
B. Were You Baptized For The Right Reasons? - 19:3-4
1. They had been baptized for the reasons which accompanied John's baptism - cf. 19:4.
2. Wrong reasons:
a. To be saved from original sin (infant baptism).
b. Because you thought you were already saved (outward sign of inward grace).
c. To become a member of a denomination (cf. Baptist baptism).
3. Bible reasons: Mk. 16:16; Acts 2:38; 22:16; Gal. 3:27; 1 Pet. 3:21.
C. Were You Baptized By The Right Authority? - 19:3-5; Matt. 28:19
1. Not the authority of the church, clergy, creed, tradition, etc.
2. Authority of Christ which is announced & applied in His word - 19:3- 5 (Matt. 28:18-19). By obeying it, you are baptized "in His name."
D. Were You Baptized In The Right Manner? - Acts 8:38 (Col. 2:12)
1. If sprinkling or pouring not yet been baptized "in the name of the Lord Jesus."
2. If you have not been baptized on the basis of the right faith, for the right reasons, by the right authority & in the right way - do so now!
1. Prov. 14:12; 28:26 - Don't trust your own heart -- Trust the word of Christ!
2. Have you truly been "faithful to the Lord?!" (Acts 16:15)
3. When you truly believe & obey you will truly be saved!