Topical Sermons Power Point Show
Scripture Reading: John 8:31-36
1. Most of us don’t know as much about the birth of America as we should: The cost in lives, the commitment of time & resources, the sacrifices, the pain, and finally, the victory of independence; “a new nation, conceived in liberty & dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal” (Lincoln, Gettysburg Address).
2. We benefit from the price paid by others (thanks, humility & responsibility).
3. There is a far greater cost that has been paid, a far superior sacrifice has been made & an eternal commitment made for our spiritual & eternal freedom.
I. FREEDOM IS ONLY IN CHRIST (Acts 4:12).
A. Freedom from Sin, Jno. 8:31-36; Rom. 6:18, 22-23.
1. Sin stands between man & everything that is good…God! (Isa. 59:1-2; Col. 1:21).
2. Illus.: English tyranny & the tyranny of sin.
3. Sinners are slaves to sin (Jno. 8:34).
4. Truly free when freed by the Son, Jno. 8:36.
B. Freedom from the Fear of Death, Heb. 2:14-15.
1. Christ “captured” the devil (who uses the fear of death to enslave sinners), Matt. 12:29; Eph. 4:7-8 (1 Jno. 3:8).
2. Victory in Christ over the sting of death, 1 Cor. 15:55-57.
C. Freedom from the Condemnation of the Law, Rom. 8:1-4.
1. Law cannot save (weak through the flesh), Rom. 3:20.
2. In Christ: Freedom from the law of sin & death, Rom. 8:1-2 (Gal. 3:1-3, 10-14; 4:21-24, 26, 31; Rom. 7:1-4).
a. Law of sin & death (7:23, 25; 8:2): Rule that when we sin, we die (Rom. 6:23).
-It is the law of sin in my members (Rom. 7:23, 25): Rule of the flesh by sin.
b. Law of God (7:22, 25): Also called “the law of my mind” (7:23) – God rules the inner man (mind) & life by the Spirit-revealed gospel of Christ, Rom. 8:1-2 (3:27-31). (Live by faith)
1) Christ delivers from death, Rom. 7:24-25.
2) The law (rule) of God is through the gospel, Rom. 8:5-9.
c. The law of the Spirit of life (8:2): The gospel that frees us from sin & death! (6:17-18; 1:16).
3. Not bound by OT law for our salvation or service to God (not our authority, Col. 2:14; 3:17).
D. Freedom from Religious Oppression Gal. 2:3-5; 4:9.
1. Jesus freed us from the tyranny of human doctrine & traditions, Col. 2:20-23; cf. Matt. 23:4.
2. We serve one Master; not the regulations of men, Matt. 6:24 (1 Cor. 7:22-23).
II. FREEDOM IS NOT FREE.
A. Cost the Life of the Sinless Son of God to Free Us from Sin.
1. Ransom: The price of redemption, 1 Tim. 2:6 (Mk. 10:45); Tit. 2:14.
2. The love of God: Rom. 5:6-11.
B. Will Cost your Life as a Slave of Righteousness, Rom. 6:18-22.
1. Slave of God (6:22; 1 Cor. 7:22).
2. The yoke of Christ, Matt. 11:28-30.
a. Sacrificial faith of a disciple, Lk. 5:11.
b. Suffer with Christ, Rom. 8:12-18 (Phil. 1:29).
3. Be a servant of men, cf. 1 Cor. 9:19 (Matt. 25:40).
4. Vigilant servant of God, Matt. 24:44-47 (1 Cor. 16:13; 1 Pet. 5:8).
III. RESPONSIBILITIES OF FREEDOM IN CHRIST. (Freedom in Christ is not “live as you please” without restraint – cf. 2 Pet. 2:18-20; Jude 4)
A. Stand Fast in the Gospel & Don’t Return to Bondage of Sin, Gal. 5:1 (1:6-7); 1 Cor. 15:58.
1. Here, binding the LOM – sinful (Gal. 5:1-4).
2. Stand fast: Faith working through love (obey truth), Gal. 5:6-8.
3. Remain diligent & do not fall away, Heb. 3:12-19. (cf. Israel’s freedom from Egypt, only to die in the wilderness.)
1. People yearn to live in freedom; we have that blessing in America & celebrate it this weekend.
2. Must have a greater yearning to be free from sin (offered in Christ):
a. Gospel of Christ will free you from your sin & put you into Christ (Jno. 8:32; Rom. 1:16; Mk. 16:16; Acts 2:38).
b. You must be in Christ to be freed from your sin, a child of God & heir of salvation through Christ, Gal. 3:26-27, 4:6-7.
3. Today, you can be truly free in Christ Jesus.