Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: John 12:42-50
Are You Truly A Christian?
1. To hear many people talk, everyone who has some belief system about Jesus is a “Christian” (regardless of what they actually believe).
2. Little regard for diligent, honest examination in the light of plain Bible passages (truth) to find out the truth of the matter, 2 Cor. 13:5.
3. Investigate some of the more frequently heard reasons why people think they are Christians, and compare them to the Bible (Acts 17:11-12).
I. YOU ARE NOT A CHRISTIAN SIMPLY BECAUSE…
A. You Believe Something about Jesus, Jno. 12:42-43. (But, are you truly a Christian?)
1. cf. “That He lived / Good teacher / Contributed to humanity...”
2. cf. J.W.’s; LDS; Oneness Pentecostals; Unitarians, etc.
3. Demons believe something about Jesus, Jas. 2:19 (Mk. 1:23-24).
4. Must believe truth about Jesus, Jno. 1:12-13; 8:23-24, 58.
5. Must obey the faith, Acts 6:7; 10:34-35; Matt. 7:21.
B. You are Religious, Acts 8:26-39. (But, are you truly a Christian?)
1. But, so are Muslims, Buddhists, and Jews.
2. “Go to church,” “Pay my money,” etc.
3. Yes, Christians are religious, Acts 2:42; Jas. 1:26-27.
4. Object of your religion must be God, not self, Matt. 6:1 (Lk. 18:9-12).
5. Calling on His name is not enough for His approval, Acts 19:11-16.
C. You are Moral, Acts 10:1-2, 22. (But, are you really a Christian?)
1. Are there not moral Hindus? Buddhists? Atheists? Yes!
2. False standard upon which to base salvation, Acts 11:14.
3. Yes, the Christian will live morally, Phil. 4:8.
D. You are Sincere, Acts 26:9-11; Phil. 3:4-6. (But, are you truly a Christian?)
1. Satan’s lie: “Just be sincere.”
2. Yes, one cannot be a Christian without sincerity, 1 Pet. 2:1.
3. But, sincerity doesn’t wash away sins. We can sin with sincerity, and be lost.
E. You have been Baptized, Acts 19:1-5. (But, are you truly a Christian?)
1. John’s baptism: No promise of Holy Spirit / Baptism of repentance / Believe on one to come / Not in name of the Lord Jesus, 19:2, 4, 5.
2. Cannot be taught wrong and baptized right (Catholic, Protestant, LDS baptism, etc.)
a. Proper method? Immersion in water, Acts 8:38; Rom. 6:4.
b. Proper purpose? Mk. 16:16 (1 Pet. 3:21); Acts 22:16; Gal.3:27 (to be saved, to wash away sins, to put on Christ).
c. Proper result? Acts 2:41, 47; 1 Cor. 12:13 (To be added to Christ’s church).
3. Have you been scripturally baptized?
F. You are a Member of a Church, Eph. 4:4. (Are you truly a Christian?)
1. “Church of your choice” is not in the Bible.
2. “Church is not important” (Eternal purpose, Eph. 3:10-11; Died for it, Acts 20:28)
3. Joining a church of men does not make you a Christian (Matt. 16:18).
4. Believing and obeying the gospel of Christ puts you into Christ’s church, Acts 2:47; 1 Cor. 12:13.
5. Are you in the true church?
II. WHO IS A CHRISTIAN?
A. A Christian is a Disciple of Jesus, Acts 11:26. (Follower of Christ)
1. In NT, “Christian” is a noun, not an adjective, Acts 26:28; 1 Pet. 4:16.
2. Are you following Christ? Are you truly a Christian?
B. A Christian is Saved From Past Sins, Eph. 1:7 (Mk. 16:16).
1. Obeyed Christ’s plan of salvation (Hear, believe, repent, confess, baptized), Acts 2:37-41. (cf. Saul, Acts 9:3-11; 22:12-16)
2. Have you been saved from your past sins? Are you truly a Christian?
C. A Christian Lives Faithfully, Rom. 6:4; Lk. 6:46 (Acts 11:26).
1. Will be religious, moral, sincere, and active in the church. (Jas. 1:27)
2. Will live by faith: Obedient living, walking in good works, Eph. 2:10; Heb. 5:9 (Gal. 2:20).
3. Are you a Christian who is being faithful?
D. A Christian Bears the Image of Christ, Col. 3:10 (Gal. 3:27).
1. Sacrificial, priorities, treasures…, Lk. 9:23; 14:33; Matt. 6:33, 19-21.
2. Christ and His truth is first in his life, Jno. 8:31-32 (truly disciples).
3. Are you a Christian who is bearing the image of Christ?
1. A Christian is a child of God, saved, born again, a disciple of Christ.
2. Become a Christian God’s way (H-B-R-C-B), (put on Christ), Gal. 3:26-27.
3. Are you truly a Christian? Will you become one now?
By: Joe R. Price
Posted June 5, 2019