THE TRUE GRACE OF GOD
1. Christians stand in the true grace of God - Rom. 5:1-2; 1 Pet. 5:12.
2. There are false views of the grace of God:
a. Irresistible & selectively applied (Calvinism).
b. Continuous cleansing (neo-Calvinism) - Cleansed even as we sin. This view of grace tends to minimize doctrinal correctness while championing unity in doctrinal diversity. (Applied in mdr, morality, denominationalism )
3. What is the true grace of God? How does standing in grace affect our lives?
4. A scriptural framework in which to understand & be blessed by the "true grace of God."
I. THE TRUE GRACE OF GOD IS UNIVERSALLY AVAILABLE, BUT NOT UNIVERSALLY RECEIVED - Titus 2:11; Rom. 5:15 (12).
II. THE TRUE GRACE OF GOD IS ACCESSED THROUGH CHRIST BY FAITH - Rom. 5:1-2; Eph. 2:8.
III. THE TRUE GRACE OF GOD TEACHES US TO OBEY THE GOSPEL OF CHRIST -
· Cf. Noah (grace, faith, obedience) - Gen. 6:8-9, 14, 22; Heb. 11:7.
· 1 Pet. 5:12 - The "true grace of God" includes
-Obedience in holy living - 1:13-16. -Abstinence from fleshly lusts - 2:11-12.
-Submitting to civil government - 2:13-17. -Spousal responsibilities - 3:1-7.
-Putting away worldliness - 4:1-3. -Abstaining from idolatry - 4:3.
-Fervent love for one another - 4:8. -Hospitality - 4:9.
IV. THE TRUE GRACE OF GOD DOES NOT TOLERATE SIN -- Rom. 6:1-2, 15.
· Grace does not say, "in spite of your sin you will be cleansed & saved."
· Grace calls us to repudiate & repent of sin - not let it live in us & reign over us - Rom. 6:11-12.
· "What about one sin just before I die??"
-Sin condemns even one - Mk. 10:21.
-Hypothetical "what ifs" do not justify an ongoing practice of sin (Col. 3:9).
-Grace is greater than sin when we repudiate sin! - 1 Jno. 1:8-9.
V. THE TRUE GRACE OF GOD DOES NOT MAINTAIN FELLOWSHIP WITH FALSE DOCTRINE - Heb. 13:9; Gal. 1:6-9; Jude 3-4; 2 Jno. 9-11.
1. Do not be deceived by concepts of God's grace which overlook sin & minimize the importance of faithful obedience & sound doctrine.
2. Acts 20:24, 32 - The gospel is the word of God's grace. In order to stand in grace one must believe & obey the gospel!