Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Psalm 100:1-5
Offer God True Worship
1. Man has always searched for something or someone to worship.
2. When man has been left to his own ways he has bowed down before images graven by human art and device, Acts 17:29; cf. Isa 44:9-20.
3. Even when man refuses to worship the true God he will worship something of his own choosing, Rom 1:18-23; Col 2:23.
I. GOD HAS ALWAYS EXPECTED MANKIND TO APPROACH HIM WITH REVERENT WORSHIP (Lev 10:3).
A. God Revealed the Importance of Acceptable Worship from the Earliest Days of Humanity.
B. Abel’s Sacrifice was Acceptable to God because he Offered it in Faith, while Cain’s was not (Gen 4:1-5; Heb 11:4).
II. THOSE WHO WORSHIP GOD MUST KNOW HIM, Acts 17:22-23.
A. One must be a “True Worshiper”, Jno 4:23.
1. By worshipping God “in spirit and truth”, Jno 4:24.
2. Spirit: Heart; Inner man participates in giving homage.
-Bodily presence alone does not constitute true worship, cf. 1 Cor 11:17, 27-29.
3. Truth: More than emotion of heart is important - (WHAT), Matt 15:7-9; Rom 10:1-3.
-Must do scriptural things in scriptural ways.
-Be very familiar with the NT pattern of acceptable worship before God – to be sure you are offering God true worship.
III. NT PATTERN OF ACCEPTABLE WORSHIP.
A. The Lord’s Supper (Matt 26:26-29).
-Expression of a heart that is remembering Christ
-Communion with Christ,
1 Cor 10:16
-Memorial of His death for our sins, 1 Cor 11:23-29
-Every first day of the week,
Acts 20:7; 2:42
-Not: Sacrament, ceremony, ritual, etc.
B. Singing (Heb 2:12; Heb 13:15).
-Expression of a heart that is
turned upward and outward
-Speaking to one another in songs, Eph 5:19
-Making melody with your heart to the Lord, Eph 5:19
-Teaching and admonishing one another, Col 3:16
C. Prayer (1 Cor 14:15-16).
-Expression of a heart that
depends on God,
-Continue steadfastly in prayer, Acts 2:42
-Pray for our brethren, our leaders, for all men, Eph 6:18; 1 Ths 5:25; 1 Tim 2:1-2
-With one accord and holy hands, Acts 4:24-30; 1 Tim 2:8
D. Giving (Acts 4:34-35).
of a heart that is first given to the Lord, and which
sacrifices in the service to God,
2 Cor 8:5, 12
-On the first day of the week as we have prospered, 1 Cor 16:2
-Voluntary, with purpose and cheerfulness of heart, 2 Cor 9:7
E. Teaching God’s Word.
-Expression of a heart that
loves truth (Psa
-Preaching the word of God, not fables, 2 Tim 4:2-4
-To edify the hearers, 1 Cor 14:26; 2 Tim 2:2
-Preach the apostles’ doctrine (gospel), Acts 2:42; 1 Cor 2:1-5; 2 Tim 4:2 (3:16-17)
F. Do not Change the Worship God Approves and Accepts.
1. By substituting the doctrines of men, Matt 15:7-9; Col 2:23
2. By profaning God and our worship of Him with irreverent conduct at worship services, cf. Mal 1:12-14
3. Remember Cain (Jude 11)
1. Are you worshiping God by faith or by sight (2 Cor 5:7)?
2. That is, are you worshiping Him as He has revealed in His word (“in truth”) or according to the doctrines and will of men?
3. Do you come before Him with a heart of reverence, adoration and humble submission (“in spirit”)?