Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Proverbs 4:10-15
Training and Admonition of the Lord
1. Parental responsibilities are both physical and spiritual, and have immediate and long term effects, 2 Tim 1:5.
2. The truth “of the Lord” must be used by parents to accomplish their work of bringing up their children, Eph 6:4; cf. 5:17-18.
I. NURTURE: BRING YOUR CHILD TO MATURITY, Eph 6:4.
A. Teach them Respect for Authority, Eph 6:1 (Heb 12:9).
1. Parent must be in charge, not the children, Prov 1:8; 5:1-2.
2. Does not mean you are abusive or disregarding of your child.
3. Does mean they must learn that the world does not revolve around them! cf. Deut 21:18-21; Eli and his sons, 1 Sam 3:13
B. Teach them the Bible, cf. 2 Tim 3:15.
1. By instruction (books, people, Bible stories, etc.): Foundation for faith (Rom 10:14).
2. By your life: They see your love or lack of interest in the Bible.
C. Teach them Love.
1. For God and the Bible. How? cf. Psa 119:97 (meditate on it).
2. For family. Why? Blessings of family, Psa 127:3-5; Prov 17:6.
3. For brethren. Giving ourselves for each other, 1 Jno 3:16-19
4. For neighbors and enemies. This is how God loves, Matt 5:43-48.
5. By instruction in the word of God and by living an example of love before them.
II. TRAINING: A DAY DOTH NOT A MAN MAKE, Eph 6:4; Prov 19:18.
-paideia: “The whole training and education of children (which relates to the cultivation of mind and morals, and employs for this purpose now commands and admonitions, now reproof and punishment).” (Thayer)
A. Discipline begins with Teaching, Prov 22:6; 1:8-9; 4:1-4, 20-22.
1. Parents must have the commitment to teach their children the ways of righteousness; you are molding souls for life and eternity!
2. Parental discipline in order to teach your child, Deut 6:7-9.
B. Discipline that Rewards Good and Corrects Disobedience, Prov 22:15; cf. Gen 4:7 (Prov 23:13-14).
C. Discipline with Equity (impartiality, fairness, justice, evenhanded), cf. Heb 12:5-7, 10-11.
D. Discipline must Continue with Patience, cf. Col 3:21.
1. God with Israel, cf. Deut 1:30-32 (Heb 3:9-11).
2. Strong-willed child, Prov 13:24; 29:15, 17.
3. Endurance: Every day!
III. ADMONITION: WARN OF DANGERS, cf. Joel 1:2-3.
A. Warn of Dangers that Destroy Character, 1 Cor 15:33-34.
1. Values of the world are not the values Christian must hold, 1 Jno 2:15.
2. Temptations of the flesh, 1 Pet 2:11; Matt 26:41; Rom 13:11-14.
B. Warn of Dangers that Destroy Personal Faith, 1 Pet 5:8-9.
1. Faithless world that resists faithful people, Matt 5:10-12. (Peer pressure)
2. Misplaced priorities, Matt 6:33; 16:26.
3. Materialism, Prov 3:9-10.
4. Intellectualism, Prov 3:5-7 (Rom 1:20-22).
C. The Danger of Refusing to Accept Parental Discipline, Prov 3:11-13.
1. Parents motive is love – to see child succeed and thrive! Prov 3:1-2.
2. Hardship, regret, folly and death in rejecting godly discipline, Prov 4:10-19.
1. Parents have the great work of telling the next generation of God and His wonderful works, Psa 78:4-7.
2. God binds the generations together with a cord of faith and love that brings honor to Him and to those who are nurtured in the training and admonition of the Lord.