THREE OTHER COMMISSIONS
1. We are familiar with Christs "great commission" - Matt. 28:19-20.
2. Commission: "an authorization or command to act in a prescribed manner or to perform prescribed acts: charge" (WWWebster Dictionary)
3. Here are some other "commissions" we can apply to ourselves:
I. THE COMMISSION TO THE PHARISEES: "GO AND LEARN" - Matt. 9:13.
A. What Must We "Go And Learn?" (Divine truth)
1. Truth has a definite meaning: "Learn what this means" (Hos. 6:6).
a. Not "relative" to ones experiences, desires, race, nationality....
b. Hos. 4:6 - Was Israel destroyed for something she couldnt know?!
2. Divine directives to learn: Prov. 4:5; 15:14; Matt. 11:29; 2 Pet. 1:5.
B. How Do We "Go And Learn"?
1. Prov. 2:1-6: Some qualities we need to "go & learn":
a. Value truth - 2:1 (Prov. 23:23).
b. Listen to godly wisdom - 2:2 (Psa. 119:97-100).
c. Devotion to learning (getting understanding) - 2:2-3 (2 Tim. 2:15).
d. Be a truth-seeker - 2:4; Acts 17:11.
e. Expect to understand - 2:5 (Eph. 5:17).
f. Use Gods word to learn truth - 2:6 (Matt. 9:13 -- Hos. 6:4-6).
g. Resolve to do Gods will - Jno. 7:17.
h. Humility - Matt. 11:25-27.
2. 1 Tim. 2:3-4 - God desires you to know the truth & be saved!
3. Therefore, "go and learn"!!
II. THE COMMISSION TO A LEPER: "GO AND SHOW" - Matt. 8:1-4.
A. Jesus Is Able & Willing To Forgive Your Sins - 8:2-3.
1. Able to completely heal our sin - Heb. 7:25.
2. Willing to save: Your sin is not so black that He cannot cleanse you; it is not so blatant that He cannot remove it; it is not so consuming that He cannot heal you! - 1 Cor. 6:9-11; 1 Tim. 1:12-16
B. Jesus Will Declare You "Clean" From Sin If You "Go And Show" Yourself To Him - 8:4.
1. Deut. 24:8 (Lev. 13 & 14) - Carefully follow the OT priests for cleansing.
2. Heb. 9:11-14 - High Priest Jesus cleanses us: B-R-C-B-Faithful.
III. THE COMMISSION TO THE MAN FREED FROM DEMONIC SLAVERY: "GO AND TELL" - Mk. 5:18-19.
A. Tell Of Your Freedom From The Bondage Of Sin - cf. 5:2-5; Rom. 6:16-18.
1. The man was delivered from the power of Satan by the power & compassion of Jesus.
2. We need deliverance from the power of Satan - Jesus can free us! - Heb. 2:14-15; Jno. 8:34-36
B. Go Tell Those Who Are Still Enslaved By Sin Of Freedom In Christ - 5:19.
1. Friends, family, strangers - all who will listen!
2. Mk. 16:15 - Preach the good news to everyone!
3. Never forget that we (Christians) were slaves to sin once, too!
1. We have been charged by Christ to:
a. Go & learn: Hear & believe the gospel message.
b. Go & show: Obey the gospel commands.
c. Go & tell: Share the word of salvation with others.
2. Will we follow the Masters charge?!
Adapted from outline appearing in PULPIT HELPS
by Victor Knowles, Peace on Earth Ministries