Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: 1 Peter 4:1-6
They Think You Are Strange
1. The world looks at Christians as odd, strange, weird and peculiar, cf. 1 Pet. 4:4.
2. 1 Pet. 2:9: Peculiar people (KJV). Special or “purchased” possession, Acts 20:28; Eph. 1:14; Titus 2:14.
3. The fact is that Christians stand out in the world, 1 Pet. 2:10-11.
a. That will draw criticism, ridicule, mockery and even open hostility, Jno. 15:18-19.
b. Do not marvel, be discouraged or distracted from your faith, 1 Jno. 3:13. (Young people and peer pressure).
4. Some things people think are strange about us as we follow Christ.
I. THEY THINK YOU ARE STRANGE FOR…
A. Not Using Instrumental Music in Worship.
1. Worship is revealed by God in His word, not devised in the hearts of men, Jno. 4:23-24.
2. NT pattern: Singing (Eph 5:19; Col. 3:16; et al.).
3. Hold fast the pattern, 2 Tim. 1:13.
4. Instruments an addition, Gal. 1:8-9; 2 Jno. 9.
B. Believing Universe was Created in Six Days, Exo. 20:11; Gen. 2:1-2.
1. Really a matter of believing the Bible (Gen. 1).
2. If you believe God created Adam and Eve at adults (appearance of age from the start), it is entirely conceivable the world also had the appearance of age from the start.
C. Refusing Sexual Activity before Marriage, Gal. 5:19.
1. Not to be named among us, Eph. 5:3.
2. World thinks it is normal and nature (69% say sex between an unmarried man and woman is morally acceptable; Sex between teenagers, 42%). Values and Beliefs Survey, Gallup, May 1-10, 2018
3. Premarital (and extramarital) sex is sinful and dangerous.
a. The selfish result of uncontrolled lust, Matt. 5:28.
b. It dishonors God who gave it for marriage, Heb. 13:4.
c. It dishonors your body and its purpose, 1 Cor. 6:18.
d. It is a foolish exploit that results in tragedy, Prov. 6:25-29. (Sin, STDs, pregnancy, emotional trauma, potential legal charges, etc.)
D. Believing Marriage is Only between One Man and One Woman, Gen. 2:24; 1 Cor. 7:1-2; Rom. 7:2.
1. 67% say gay/lesbian relationships are morally acceptable.
2. Marriage and its permanency are discounted by living together and other temporary approaches to marriage.
E. Rejecting Divorce for Any Cause as Sin.
1. 76% think divorce is morally acceptable (Gallup).
2. Jesus and His apostles, Matt. 19:3-9; 1 Cor. 7:10-11.
F. Refusing to Join in the “Fun” Activities of Youth.
1. Going to the prom (dance), Gal. 5:19 (uncleanness and lewdness – “sinful abandon”); Col. 3:5.
2. Drinking and drugs (marijuana), 1 Pet. 4:3.
a. 78% say drinking alcohol is morally acceptable
b. 65% say smoking marijuana is morally acceptable
3. Profanity language, crude/coarse jokes, Eph. 5:4.
4. Pornography, Matt. 5:28.
a. 93% of boys and 62% of girls were exposed to pornography before 18 (2008 online survey of 560 college students). (Pornography Statistics – 2015, page 15, Covenant Eyes)
b. Parents: Beware of sleepovers, etc. that expose your children to these dangers.
II. WHAT CAN YOU DO?
A. Accept and Follow the Teaching of Your Parents, Prov. 1:18-15.
B. What Others Say about You does not Define You, Gen. 39:14-19.
C. Do not Love the World, 1 Jno. 2:15-17.
D. Above All, Follow the Truth of Jesus Christ, Jno. 8:31-32.
1. Christians are different from the world. Heaven is our homeland.
2. To be accepted by God is more important than your peers accepting you, or the whole world accepting you. Matt. 16:26
3. Blessed when you are persecuted for the sake of righteousness (Matt. 5:10).
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: June 11, 2018