THE POWER OF GODLINESS
1. Power drives people ($, lusts, position) - Of the world (2 Jno. 2:15-17).
2. Power of godliness should drive us--2 Tim. 3:5.
a. Form - Outward semblance - (Vine, 251). -cf. Matt. 23:27
b. Godliness (EUSEBEIA) - from EU, well, and SEBOMAI, to be devout, denotes that piety which, characterized by a Godward attitude, does that which is well-pleasing to Him -Vine, 272; Piety, reverence, devotion.
c. Power (DUNAMIS) - used relatively, denotes inherent ability, capability, ability to perform anything.....used absolutely, denotes (1) power to work, to carry something into effect.....(2) power in action.... -Vine, 406.
3. 1 Tim. 4:7-8; 6:11 - Within godliness is the ability to effect the indiv. & society for God!
THE POWER OF GODLINESS UPON.....
I. THE CHRISTIAN - 2 Pet. 3:11 (Acts of godliness).
A. Spiritual Growth - 2 Pet. 1:6-7.
-A life which respects Gods will. Devotion to God - to please Him (2 Cor. 5:9).
B. Contentment - 1Tim. 6:6-10.
1. Sufficiency, sufficient strength, enough.
2. Godliness prioritizes our life!
3. Minded to be godly......rich? - Matt. 6:24.
C. Endurance - 2 Tim. 3:11-12.
-The foundation for Paul's endurance (Matt. 5:10-12; 1 Pet. 4:14-16).
D. Moral Living - Titus 2:11-14.
-Battle against worldliness won by godly living & looking for Savior!
E. Clothing - 1 Tim. 2:9-10.
-Clothing must reflect the godliness we profess!
F. Over Hypocrisy - 2 Tim. 3:1-5.
1. When godliness is within, hypocrisy will not be reflected without!
2. Titus 1:16 - Works will not deny God!
II. THE CHURCH.
A. Our Knowledge Of Truth - Tit. 1:1.
1. Truth produces godliness - We must know truth in order to live godly! - 2 Pet. 1:3
2. Piety for God & interest in pleasing Him will naturally turn us to His word, to increase of knowledge of His will!
B. Our Doctrine - 1 Tim. 6:3.
1. Teaching consistent w/ godliness, in contrast with false teaching (2 Tim. 2:15-18).
2. Many doctrines against godliness today: Adulterous remarriages; silence against worldliness (social drinking, immodest dress, dancing, etc.); easy divorce, etc.
3. Our doctrine must reflect godliness!
III. THE HOME - 1 Tim. 5:4 (Piety same root word as godliness). -cf. 2 Tim. 3:1-5 ---
A. Obedience (3:2) - Rom. 1:30.
1. Eph. 6:1-2 - Right before God, Honor.
2. Prov. 1:8; 23:22 - Hear and obey - Blessed.
B. Thankfulness of Children (3:2).
1. Parents give continual care for your growth, happiness & success - Respect your parents & show it!
2. Devotion to God helps to be thankful, not only to Him, but also to parents.
C. Natural Affection (3:3).
1. Rom. 1:31 (love of kindred).
2. Where 1Tim. 5:4 finds strength (requite)!
IV. SOCIETY - 1 Tim. 2:1-2.
A. Nations Fall When Godliness Is Extinguished - Prov. 14:34; Psa. 144:15.
1. Dan. 2:21 - God removes wicked kingdoms (will remove this wicked nation, too!).
2. Matt. 5:13 - Preserve by godliness!
1. We must be driven by the power of godliness! Begins with the individual - church - the home - the nation - the world!
2. A life devouted to pleasing God can make a difference!
3. Let the power of godliness work in your life!