Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Psalm 139:1-6
God Knows My Heart
1. God tests our hearts, knows our secrets and understands our thoughts, Psa. 17:3; 44:21; 139:1-4.
2. God tests our hearts and rewards/punishes accordingly, Jer. 17:9-10.
3. So, we must purify our hearts before Him, Matt. 5:8; Jas. 4:8.
4. Scientists think they have made a breakthrough in detecting liars: Brain activity changes when you lie. (cf. Polygraph: Reads physiological responses such as perspiration rates, blood pressure and heartbeat). “Scientist: Lies come from brain, not heart” (The Bellingham Herald, A6, 4/9/02).
5. Examine this news item to see that the Bible has revealed this knowledge all along. (cf. 1 Cor. 1:20-25)
I. THE BRAIN AND THE HEART: ARE THEY DIFFERENT?
(Scientist: “Lies come from brain, not heart.” - Article)
A. The Heart of Man is the Seat of Life. (Dual beings: Flesh and spirit)
1. This heart is neither the blood pump nor the brain itself, but the mind or inner being of man, 2 Sam. 18:14; Acts 2:37; 1 Pet. 3:4.
2. The mind is the “heart” from which lies (evil) proceed, Acts 5:2-4.
3. This heart affects the body, cf. Matt. 12:34-35; 15:19.
B. The Bible Heart is the Mind, Heb. 8:10; 10:16.
1. Thinks, Matt. 9:4. (The heart is the place our intellect exists.)
2. Reasons (purposes), Mk. 2:6; Acts 5:4. (Will is exercised in heart.)
3. Emotions, Acts 2:37; 7:54. (Source of emotion - the heart.)
4. Conscience, Heb. 10:22. (Conscience is in the heart.)
II. GOD UNDERSTANDS EVERY HEART AND THE INTENTS OF OUR THOUGHTS, Psa. 139:1-4.
A. We Can’t Fool God about What is in Our Heart, Psa. 64:5-6.
1. cf. Polygraph: Not admissible evidence because (1) People can train themselves to appear to be telling the truth when they are lying, and (2) Because of potential biases of the interviewer.
2. God’s “lie detector” is always reliable…What He says is in our hearts is accurate, Jer. 17:9-10; Heb. 4:13.
B. The Lord has Always Detected Evil in the Minds of Men, Prov. 12:20.
1. Jesus knew their evil thoughts, Matt. 9:4 (cf. Mk. 2:6-8).
2. Thus, we must have loyal hearts before God, 1 Chron. 28:9 (Prov. 23:7; Lk. 6:45).
3. God already sees and knows what is going on inside your head, Jer. 17:10 (Rev. 2:23); Acts 1:24 (cf. Mark 2:8).
III. WHAT IS IN OUR MIND WILL COME BEFORE GOD’S BAR OF JUSTICE, 1 Cor. 4:5; Rom. 2:16; Psa. 7:9-10; Jer. 17:9-10.
A. We are Responsible for What is in Our Heart (cf. Matt. 5:28).
B. We are Accountable to the Lord, Rom. 14:12.
1. Guard your heart diligently, Prov. 4:23.
2. Think on good things to do what is right, Phil. 4:8-9.
3. Words of the mouth and meditations of heart to be acceptable to God, Psa. 19:14.
By: Joe R. Price
Posted January 2, 2020